Mahle vs Fel-Pro?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In the process of doing the head gaskets on my truck. I can go with either Mahle or Fel-Pro. For the most part I've always ran with Fel-pro gaskets and they've been okay. But I'm really not too interested in pulling the heads off due to a cheap gasket. Research online has come back inconclusive, some swear by Mahle, some swear by Fel-pro. Just curious what others experience has been between the two on these trucks.
AFAIK its a tired 350 with 212k miles so not making big power. TIA in advance for the input!

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want to keep the stock compression you may want to consider the GM offering for these motors #10105117. Those are the ones I used when I reworked my heads and haven't had any issues. The repair gaskets all have compressed thickness around 0.040". Stock is 0.028" which is what the GMPP has.

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want to keep the stock compression you may want to consider the GM offering for these motors #10105117. Those are the ones I used when I reworked my heads and haven't had any issues. The repair gaskets all have compressed thickness around 0.040". Stock is 0.028" which is what the GMPP has.
I'm no engine builder, so would that difference between gasket thicknesses cause a reduction in power that would even be noticeable in my butt dyno?

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
Coke vs. Pepsi

I like to see .035" to .045" piston to head clearance so I go with whoever has the right thickness.

They both make several lines of gaskets from better than stock replacements to all out race gaskets and everything in between.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm no engine builder, so would that difference between gasket thicknesses cause a reduction in power that would even be noticeable in my butt dyno?
Two problems with thick head gaskets/lack of squish:

1. Lower compression ratio leading to lower power and reduced fuel economy. Engine is less efficient.

2. Reduced in-cylinder turbulence leading to slow burn, increased chances of detonation, and reduced power and fuel economy. Engine is less efficient AND potentially subject to detonation. The knock sensor will shut-down the detonation, at an even-more-severe penalty in power and fuel economy.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've used non Fel-Pro gaskets that come with kits before and they've all failed. Every time I've used Fel-Pro gaskets, I've never had to replace them again. I'm not a brand loyal guy at all and I'll try anything under the sun, but I'll always stick to Fel-Pro gaskets because they've never failed me yet.