Mahle vs Fel-Pro?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grey has worked for me for years. All your doing is sealing that corner.
I don't doubt it works. I think half the reason for having a dozen varieties of RTV Silicone, is to take up more shelf space, crowding your competitors out of the retail display.

HOWEVER, the grey is intended for sealing rigid-to-rigid, and with the thick, rubber oil pan gasket, the black is supposed to be better.

Caulking gun? You must be one of those guys that plugs up oil pump pickups with big globs of sillycone.
The Right Stuff "one minute" formula is too thick to be used in squeeze-tubes. It's only sold in "aerosol" (high-pressure canisters) or caulking-gun formats. Yup, this is the stuff I use, in either container. There's also a The Right Stuff in high-temp "red". Haven't tried the red yet.
www.amazon.com/Permatex-25229-Right-Stuff-Gasket/dp/B001BAH5DI/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3TPKZ5B2I340A
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
You must be registered for see images attach

Big caulking tubes, or little caulking tubes. Or, complete with a cute lil' caulking-gun
www.amazon.com/Permatex-99070-Right-Stuff-Gasket/dp/B000HBM6PE/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3TPKZ5B2I340A

Just because you're working from a caulking gun, doesn't mean you have to use the entire cartridge in one squirt.

The Right Stuff "one hour" formula can be sold in squeeze-tubes, but you have to wait sixty times as long before adding oil. In some cases, that's no hardship. Other cases, it's very inconvenient to have to go screw-off, drink coffee (or beer), watch TV, poke fun at the wife, etc. while the RTV sets-up. Even the "one hour" formula is better than most RTV Silicones that require 24 hours...

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a recent thread, and I can’t remember who, but somebody posted a list of the different types of RTV’s and listed the correct application for each. Might have been added as a sticky. Question - How do you access stickies?

Last edited:

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't doubt it works. I think half the reason for having a dozen varieties of RTV Silicone, is to take up more shelf space, crowding your competitors out of the retail display.

HOWEVER, the grey is intended for sealing rigid-to-rigid, and with the thick, rubber oil pan gasket, the black is supposed to be better.

The Right Stuff "one minute" formula is too thick to be used in squeeze-tubes. It's only sold in "aerosol" (high-pressure canisters) or caulking-gun formats. Yup, this is the stuff I use, in either container. There's also a The Right Stuff in high-temp "red". Haven't tried the red yet.
www.amazon.com/Permatex-25229-Right-Stuff-Gasket/dp/B001BAH5DI/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3TPKZ5B2I340A

Big caulking tubes, or little caulking tubes. Or, complete with a cute lil' caulking-gun
www.amazon.com/Permatex-99070-Right-Stuff-Gasket/dp/B000HBM6PE/ref=sr_1_6?crid=3TPKZ5B2I340A

Just because you're working from a caulking gun, doesn't mean you have to use the entire cartridge in one squirt.

The Right Stuff "one hour" formula can be sold in squeeze-tubes, but you have to wait sixty times as long before adding oil. In some cases, that's no hardship. Other cases, it's very inconvenient to have to go screw-off, drink coffee (or beer), watch TV, poke fun at the wife, etc. while the RTV sets-up. Even the "one hour" formula is better than most RTV Silicones that require 24 hours...
Stuff we use at work is same size tubes as the right stuff but it’s ready for oil within about 20 minutes. So by the time everything else is buttoned up your ready to roll. I get one with every job I need some with. But don’t open a new one till The one in my gun is empty. I have probably a dozen tubes in my toolbox at work.

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stuff we use at work is same size tubes as the right stuff but it’s ready for oil within about 20 minutes. So by the time everything else is buttoned up your ready to roll. I get one with every job I need some with. But don’t open a new one till The one in my gun is empty. I have probably a dozen tubes in my toolbox at work.
This is what GM has us use on all the new stuff that has no gaskets. Oil pans, timing covers, etc…..

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was a recent thread, and I can’t remember who, but somebody posted a list of the different types of RTV’s and listed the correct application for each. Might have been added as a sticky. Question - How do you access stickies?
Stickies are at the top of each forum section. But what you're maybe looking for is this:
:)

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My apologies!
When you said caulking gun the first thing that popped into my head was an engine that came from a popular supposedly competent rebuilding service that self destructed on fire up. When I pulled the valve covers and oil pan off the thing was full of silicone like they pumped it in with a caulking gun. The oil pump screen was completely clogged with the stuff.
They honored the warranty but that was the last engine I ever bought from any rebuilder.