LS turbo performance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just chatting HP and valvetrain stability:

I was chatting with my neighbor today, his car is a 70 Chevelle street car that he drives rain or shine. He drove it to the chassis dyno in the rain last year and it laid down 1200 hp as he used it in a EFI tuning seminar to help teach others how to tune turbo Holley setups. It went off for a full roll cage and 7 second quarter mile cert so I was curious and asked what the new combo was going to be.

It was previously a 1200 wheel HP setup using a 408 cube LS and his custom turbo he manufactures, his custom hot side, intercooler, and his fabricated intake manifold. Th-400 air shifted and 12 bolt 3.42 gear.

He sold this combo and he’s now building a 6.0 bored 10 thou for cleanup do about 377 cubes give or take. good rods and pistons, big heads, twin turbos, dual 3.5” downpipes, and the crazy thing is the RPM ability. He said 9000 rpm will be the shift point, I didn’t ask the hp goal as he’s pretty conservative but I would guess 1600 hp or better. He’s using a Jessel rocker setup like used in this article below:

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that's this kit:

I'm still dreaming of building an LS engine that can run at 8,000 rpm all day long. I've been eyeballing this kit:

My latest question is how durable the GM Performance hollow valves are. They're about 3/4 the weight of Manley's Race valves for just a fraction more price ($206 vs $187).

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm guessing that's this kit:

I'm still dreaming of building an LS engine that can run at 8,000 rpm all day long. I've been eyeballing this kit:

My latest question is how durable the GM Performance hollow valves are. They're about 3/4 the weight of Manley's Race valves for just a fraction more price ($206 vs $187).
I will ask him for more detail on his valvetrain. I know it’s a high $ build, and it’s fun to watch other spend thier money lol. I know he says he’s using titanium valves.

On a different but related note my head porting guy is almost done porting my buick 350 alum cylinder heads, they feature a $1200 shaft mounted roller rocker setup as well. These heads should allow about 500 Hp NA with 355 cubes then boost on top will be fun!

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Absolutely, knowing him he’s gonna hit it with 20 psi or more. His turbos are high end, he balances each one himself personally before they ship out. I’ve got his wastegates and blow off valves, very nice pieces!

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Old video but here’s my neighbors car, it was raining that day and he drove it 40 minutes to the dyno!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I can’t wait to see it with the new engine and other mods!