Lowering A -1989

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMC GIANNI

Reaction score
I have an 89 GMC, torsion bar suspension up front and obviously leafs in the back. Ive got it down about 3 inches all around at the moment. Alot of the parts in want to put on the drop it dont seem to fit exactly and were meant for more of the 96 era obs. any recommendations on lowering products? ive searched all around belltech and mcghauys but they dont seem to make the parts for 88-89

GMC GIANNI

Reaction score
I just ordered the flip kit, and cnotch seperatly from summit racing. I believe the flip kit part numbers are 2106, and the c notch is 2107 for 88-98 is anyone is looking.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The issue with the 88-91 standard cab 2wd is that they have a different rotor and spindle than the 88-98 extended cab and 92-98 standard cab. You appear to have a 4wd though so that doesn't apply to your truck.

GMC GIANNI

Reaction score
The issue with the 88-91 standard cab 2wd is that they have a different rotor and spindle than the 88-98 extended cab and 92-98 standard cab. You appear to have a 4wd though so that doesn't apply to your truck.

yeah ive got the 4x4 extended cab. looking to keep the 4x4 which seems very do-able when reading all the lowered threads. i just cant seem to find any shocks that are not oem ride height. ive been debating on scavenging some junk yards to find smaller shocks that will bolt up... only issue with that is i am still hauling with this rig. only reason i havent spent a bunch of money on a nice air ride setup is because well its expensive. ive been looking into the nitro drop shocks2 also, just cant seem to find anyone running a set to tell me the dimensions on them

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
when lowering the front remove the bump stops ..when I did it I removed all the front end and rebushed it with polyurethane the shocks I use front and back are edelbrock factory height mono tube

Sesspool

Reaction score
I have a store near me that has a kit for 88-91 and the spindle they list is bel-2400. I wonder if this is right. I am doing the 4/6 kit for my 91 too so I'm hoping this is right haha

GMC GIANNI

Reaction score
Front is a spindle and spring drop. Spindles are 2", springs are 2", my suggestion is Belltech for quality but others may recommend DJM spindles. Order them for a C1500 with heavy duty brakes (1.25" rotors vs. the 1" that would come on the first couple year regular cabs.)

Rear is a flip kit, order for a 454SS. Again I *strongly* suggest Belltech as their flip kit is superior to DJM's in every way possible.

Also suggest the Belltech shocks.

I don't have part #'s for you...I built that truck 12 years ago and sold it 5 years ago, all the receipts went with it.

Richard

For the 2500 I would definitely buy the 454 Flip kit. Axle width is larger than 1500. My 1500 kit installed had to be stretched