Lowered 95 with running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just as an FYI (perhaps a bit of a cautionary tale). I have a 95 Silverado with running boards. It was My father’s truck and I had let it fall into disrepair. When the old 350 died I decided to go with a LS swap. Went with a 4.8 liter with some small upgrades. It pulled 370 wheel HP on the Dyno after the work was completed and it was tuned. Very happy with that.

Next up was body work, new headlights, tail lights, turn signals and a 4/6 Street Grip lowering kit. Two tone paint, black on top and HOK Apple Red below. Everything was going along nicely until the drop kit was installed. The problem is clearance between the running boards and the ground. There isn’t enough clearance to get into many parking lots and the running boards scrape even with small dips in the road. I can’t even get into my driveway.

It‘s not a problem with the drop kit. I just didn’t do my research on what the clearance would be between the boards and the road. I’m having the Street Grip kit removed and will be going with a less aggressive drop.

photo of the 4/6 drop attached.
You must be registered for see images attach

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the wheel/tire combo now?
My daily is a NBS with literally 3" of ground clearance. Gotta pay attention to how and where you drive, and some rubbing is inevitable, but with the right wheels and tires you can daily it if you choose.

Reaction score
What's the wheel/tire combo now?
My daily is a NBS with literally 3" of ground clearance. Gotta pay attention to how and where you drive, and some rubbing is inevitable, but with the right wheels and tires you can daily it if you choose.
The clearance is under 2”. Probably 1-3/4". I’d really like to stay with the Ridetech Street Grip but the shop has already purchased something else and started working on it unfortunately.

Tomahawk 309

Reaction score
Yep ditch the running boards. You sure don't need them with a dropped truck. Mine had those god awful things on it when I got mine. My truck was my grandfather's, the truck has great sentimental value so I was conflicted about removing them. So glad I did though.