Low oil pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've just finished rebuilding the 350 in my '92 Silverado. The only thing that isn't stock is the cam. At a cold startup the oil pressure is usually around 60lbs at idle. After letting it warm up it'll sit at 10lbs at idle. Then while driving it'll go as high as 70lbs (if its around 4000rpm) is this normal? Before the rebuild it would consistently be right on 40lbs. It has break in oil in it. Could this be the cause?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My Suburban hovers around 20lbs at hot idle and it has around 170K on the factory 5.7. 10lbs seems very low to me, especially on a fresh rebuild. I've never heard of break in oils causing this, but I could be wrong.

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My Suburban hovers around 20lbs at hot idle and it has around 170K on the factory 5.7. 10lbs seems very low to me, especially on a fresh rebuild. I've never heard of break in oils causing this, but I could be wrong.
At idle it was getting oil to the rocker arms. This means that the engine is getting adequate lube right? Also, is it normal for a small amount of smoke or steam to be coming out of the valve cover when the oil cap is off?

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
It should not have been consistently at 40 lbs before. Oil pressure is going to fluctuate with engine rpm.

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It should not have been consistently at 40 lbs before. Oil pressure is going to fluctuate with engine rpm.
That's what I was thinking. I got the block thoroughly cleaned. Thinking now that the oil galleries are completely free of debris that it fluctuates like its supposed to.