Low oil pressure at idle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's where we were discussing how to pull trouble codes using the "paperclip trick"

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've gone through the effort of an engine swap and added a sniper, and you're still using factory gauges?? You can't trust those even on a stock engine, they weren't even right 30 years ago and they're definitely not now. I still have my factory oil pressure gauge hooked up and it reads 15psi lower than actual. You need a real gauge to see if there even is a problem.

azmikep

Reaction score
I’ve got about 15-20 psi at idle. Brand new motor. Was worries about oil pump screen or kink on oil tube during assembly. Runs fine good pressure on gas so I know guage works. Following

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thoughts please...
1989 K1500 stock 350 TBI. At full operating temperature it runs right at 12 PSI at idle with a mechanical gauge connected. It's low enough to trigger the "check gauges" light.
Still acceptable pressure? Engine has right at 160K miles. Don't hear any odd noises coming from the engine and it seems to run fine.

Thanks in advance for any input.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At full operating temperature it runs right at 12 PSI at idle with a mechanical gauge connected. It's low enough to trigger the "check gauges" light.
Still acceptable pressure?
That's OK. IIRC the check gauges light will come on if it sees <10 PSI. What weight oil are you running? Maybe jump up to something like 10w-40?

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's got 5w-30 in it right now. Definitely thought about going to 10w-40.

Thanks for the response!