Lots of electrical issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rckymtncwgrl

Reaction score
I have a 94 K1500 5.7L with a lot of electrical problems.
Passenger power window rolls down but sometimes won't roll up. Works intermittently. Replaced switches on driver and passenger side and installed a new motor; no change.
Radio worked when I bought it almost a year ago; stopped working a few months ago. Fuse is fine. It is an aftermarket radio. No clue how old it is.
Windshield washer pump: didn't work when I bought it. Put in a new pump and it worked for about a week then stopped.
Courtesy fuse blows as soon as a new one is put in, so most of the stuff in my cab doesn't work (interior lights, cigarette lighter, etc.).
My biggest concern is that my reverse lights don't work. They come on when the shifter is between park and reverse, but as soon as it seats into gear they turn off.
I'm sure there's other problems I'm forgetting, but those are the biggest/most annoying at the moment.
I do have a multimeter but I don't know how to fully use it. I also have the Hayes manual for the truck with wiring diagrams in it, but it's been about 18 years since I learned how to read one so I don't remember what the heck they mean.
Am I just looking at a bunch of old wires that I need to trace and replace? How do I go about the tracing part?
Thanks for taking the time guys.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't despair. Seems like a lot, but it's all stuff we've seen before. Start with simple things. Download a manual (use the search function on here). Check the grounds, the stereo wiring for exposed wires, and the lighters for coins.
What kind of multimeter is it? I'm not an electrical guy, but there are some good ones here.
Iirc the reverse lights issue is a switch that can be adjusted, there's threads on it here.