Looking for opinions/guidance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aulii 419

Reaction score
I've been a member for a while, just lurking and learning, but now I'm looking for input on a potential project. I'm the original owner of a standard cab, short bed 1991 K1500 5-speed standard shift, and wondering whether or not it's worth undertaking a rebuild project. The truck has been parked for 10 years and has approximately 235,000 miles on it - it was running when I parked it to save money on fuel costs. Three of my four kids learned to drive on this vehicle so I have a pretty strong sentimental attachment, but don't want to simply throw money away for sentimental reasons. All suggestions/guidance sincerely appreciated!

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just being a standard cab, short bed, 5-speed, IMO, way too cool not to keep!

aulii 419

Reaction score
Just being a standard cab, short bed, 5-speed, IMO, way too cool not to keep!
Thanks, I've had a number of offers from guys off the street - it's parked on my driveway in plain view - which makes me think I may have something cool, but I really don't want to get into a money pit. I've had it off-highway (no real serious 4-wheeling) from Washington state as far south as Puertocitos in Baja, and have always been happy with the way it performs. I've never undertaken a project of this magnitude, so a little nervous.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would fix it up. Parts are cheap. The people on here can help you figure out any problems.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Definitely fix it up! Those short wheelbase trucks are always in high-demand and you wont regret it once it on the road.

Just remember that it will have surprise problems and dont get discouraged when they pop up. Just take it one step at a time and take some time to sit back and look at the progress sometimes to regain motivation to keep going.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was bidding on a SWB Fleet side, Indigo Blue ,5 spd ,5.7 on ebay last year or so ago, it had a bad engine in it.. I thought I would grab it up for a song ! I dropped out of the bidding when it went over 2 K . It was a straight solid truck with peeling clear coat and just average interior. And keep in mind BAD motor. So I would say these trucks are gaining ground and I am starting to see more and more of them done up nice at car shows.

Deathpunch0311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
SCSB k1500 5spd?
YEA deff keep that and fix it up. I searched for a year and half to find that combo and came up with nothing, found my ecsb k1500 auto.

aulii 419

Reaction score
Thanks all for your input/encouragement! I'm considering upgrading the tranny to a NV4500, as the stock Getrag has a reputation for being weak, although I haven't personally had any problems with mine. Also looking at swapping in a beefier rear axle in place of the stock 10 bolt. Would appreciate your input on these mods along with any other suggestions.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Thanks all for your input/encouragement! I'm considering upgrading the tranny to a NV4500, as the stock Getrag has a reputation for being weak, although I haven't personally had any problems with mine. Also looking at swapping in a beefier rear axle in place of the stock 10 bolt. Would appreciate your input on these mods along with any other suggestions.

I don't think an NV4500 would be a good choice. I've never driven one, but it's my understanding that it's not a sporty transmission.

Wade

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Keep it running as long as you can;

You could do a 14 bolt rear end
swap.