Just acquired an abandoned 92 sierra 2500 with the 7.4L. Looking for info and resources

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerSteez

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to these trucks but not new to wrenching/ welding/ machining. Just acquired a 92 sierra 2500 single cab long bed with the 454 non vortec in it. The truck has sat since at least 2010. it is high miled at 220,000 miles. It was owned by my friends father's company, it was a work truck that he gave to his daughter, she passed away and then he passed away so it sat abandoned for years. my friend fell on hard times and needed money so I bought it from him for a cheap price.

It barked off a couple years ago on starting fluid, my plan is to immediately drop the fuel tank and replace it with a new tank, pump, sender, etc. Then I will give it a full tune up and clean out the TBI unit and see how she does. also assuming the brakes are frozen so I'll deal with that as well. The engine bay looks clean and relatively untouched, the interior needs a ton of work and smells like a dead and waterlogged raccoon. The wiring under the dash is hanging down and has a bunch of hack job splices that I have to correct as well. The truck was parked on stone so it has almost zero rust luckily.

My main concern is the mileage at this point, almost expecting the engine to smoke, tick, and burn oil at that mileage.

Looking forward to getting it back on the road

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Correct it's a TBI, Vortec is 96 and later. A non Vortec thought you leading to a diesel or carburetor conversion. Rather than expecting it to fall apart. Get a fresh battery, tuneup stuff , filters. Change the oil , pull the spark plugs, ground the coil, turn it over with fresh oil lubricate everything real well. So then finish the tune up and filters. Fire it up for a low speed test run. Go from there, what's next truck will let you know.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I wouldn't automatically replace the fuel tank unless it's necessary. When I replaced mine due to rust through, I could feel the new one was lighter weight. What I would reccomend is to drain it, and replace the fuel filter that's inline under the cab.

I wonder if you could power up the pump, and use it to pump the old fuel out. Maybe jump a relay?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I would expect sitting that long has ruined the fuel pump, sender, etc. inside the tank, so dropping the tank as first course of action is wise.

Don't assume the miles did that engine in. Unless severely abused/neglected, they're pretty stout. Sitting may have stuck some of the rings. You might read up on all the "sitting for a decade" type info before ever turning the engine over. Pulling the spark plugs and squirting Marvel Mystery Oil down each cylinder, letting it sit, then turning it over by hand might be a wise move before ever applying battery power.

Richard

TylerSteez

Reaction score
I can almost gaurantee the tank has its own ecosystem growing inside by this point. Id rather pay the couple hundred bucks than sit there cleaning the old tank out in the freezing cold.

I was planning on putting some marvel in the cylinders. one of my friends started it on starting fluid back in 2020 so im sure some damage was already done.

I'm impressed at the optimism on here for a 220k mile 454bbc, Im well versed in small block chevys and usually know what to expect at that mileage. I think it will run and idle, I'm just expecting the usual tired old engine symptoms.

My other main concern is the wiring under the dash. its a birds nest of what seams to be old breathalyzer installations, hack job radio installs, and taped up wires. Gonna see if it runs before messing with it but would appreciate any clear pictures people may have of the drivers side under dash wiring near the convenience center.

I dont have the keys yet so I broke into it last night with an inflatable bag and welding rod. the inside is thrashed. every switch and botton on the dash is broken, glove box siliconed shut lol. Found a guy on facebook marketplace that has everything I need to get the interior in decent condition.

Here are some pictures, shield your eyes and keep in mind that I got this truck for a song and was really just looking for a winter project to keep me busy lol

The door seems to have been swapped out with a 1500 door. I ran the vin and it did come back as a 2500. Also check out that exhaust manifold gasket in the engine bay pic lol
You must be registered for see images attach

TylerSteez

Reaction score
yeah it’s basically a moss covered rock at this point of its life. looking forward to pealing it all off with the pressure washer lol.

impressive mileage. i just know the old owners of this truck too well to think its had an easy and well cared for history lol. maybe i’ll be surprised, gonna do a full tune up and see how it behaves