Looking for Ignition recommendations...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98 Nitro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2 years ago when I bought my 98 I used new old stock Delphi cap/rotor/wires found on Amazon and saved a few bucks over new ACDelco , works great. I think it was all USA made too.

135 Honolulu

Reaction score
Thanks for your words of wisdom and advice! You all probably saved me some money as well.
Aloha and have a wonderful day!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would recommend Delco stuff except their wires and caps have been HORRIBLE in my experience atleast on the L31. I switched to Accel and built my own 300+ race wire set. Used the aluminum 90° shields for a LT1 application. No more melted boots or wires that pulled apart. In the stock looms I went through 2 sets of Delco wires in under 3 years with the stock manifolds. The wires and boots would literally cook and crack. The caps were no better. They would start crossfiring internally. My last cap and rotor was a Davis DUI and I had their coil and module as well. HIGHLYrecommend. Their wires are not as good as the Accel 300+ though. I drove the Express van with headers for more than 3 years using the DUI and Accel setup with NO failures.

Last edited:

johnsierra

Reaction score
The MSD cap for the TBI distributor is a low-budget piece of Communist Crap.

You must be registered for see images attach

Folks jack-up about brass terminals, but aluminum actually conducts better if not covered in corrosion. Problem with aluminum is that it gets covered in corrosion.

There is no magic in distributor caps and rotors. Damn near any brand will work, at least for awhile. Delco, Delphi, Accel are all brands I've purchased recently.

I sent the MSD cap back, though. MSD isn't the company it used to be, and it hasn't been for years.

You will gain NOTHING with a "hot-rod" ignition coil if the OEM coil is in good condition.
I think you are wrong about the conductivity of aluminum...

Attachments

• conductive_order.jpg
    conductive_order.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Approximate-electrical-conductivity-of-selected-materials-at-25C.png
    Approximate-electrical-conductivity-of-selected-materials-at-25C.png
    105.2 KB · Views: 7

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you are wrong about the conductivity of aluminum...
Problem with aluminum is not when it is new. It is when it corrodes, it becomes much less conductive and overheats, shortly failing. House fires from aluminum wiring should also help prove this point. When the aluminum oxidize on the termination ends over time, it creates heat, further breaking it down. I only run brass terminal caps, they offer much better longevity.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, decent aluminum conducts way better than brass. Costs less, too. Copper is a fantastic conductor, but it's expensive. When copper is mixed with zinc (brass) or with tin (bronze) the conductivity suffers greatly.

That's why those high-voltage power lines criss-crossing America have a conductive core of aluminum wire--way less weight, and way less expensive than copper conductors, and given the hundreds of miles of cable that they use, it's a significant savings. 'Course, those aluminum cables and connections are well-protected from corrosion. (And they mainly carry voltage, not amperage/current.)

Das Hatt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
In order to prevent the aluminum contacts from corroding, what about covering them in dielectric grease. Would that interfere with the conductivity too much?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thrue.. its wierd though why they dont make them out of pure copper
Copper corrodes readily. Or greenily, depending on your sense of humor.

Alchemist sign for iron.
Astrology sign for Mars.
Gender sign for male.
Car-Guy sign for Volvo.

Copper apparently has two symbols.

and

The second one
Astrology = Venus
Gender = Female
Day of the week = Friday
Bodily organ = Kidney

I prefer the alchemist sign for steel. Looks very much like the number "211" but isn't.

In order to prevent the aluminum contacts from corroding, what about covering them in dielectric grease. Would that interfere with the conductivity too much?
There was a time when Ford wanted the rotor tip or distributor cap contacts to be dabbed with dielectric grease. I thought it was nuts at the time. The grease looked like death once it'd gotten thousands of miles on it. This was 1980s. I think--but have not confirmed--that they were reducing the RFI of the spark-gap between rotor tip and distributor cap terminals.

Last edited: