looking for a new cd player

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I was wanting to get rid of the old cassette player with the aux cd player below it that barely works and get something i can easily hook the ipod up to so i was thinking of going with something like these due to lack of money.....

http://kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/In-Dash_CD_Receivers/1-DIN_CD_Receiver/KDC-152

http://kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/In-Dash_CD_Receivers/1-DIN_CD_Receiver/KMM-100U

but i noticed they only have one set of preouts in the back..... now it has been quite a few years since i had an audio setup that wasnt stock but i still have all the speakers, amps and subs from previous trucks that will fit in my 95. but before when i had this set up in my other trucks i had the money to get way better head units that had more preouts. will these decks work with an amp for subs and an amp for the door pillar speakers?

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
In your case, you really need at least two pairs of pre-outputs. You could feed an amp off the headunit's speaker wires if you use a line-output converter or an amp that has high-level inputs, but that's a poor workaround IMO.

If all you need is an auxiliary input and want to save money, you can easily splice a switching 3.5mm jack into the wiring between the factory main headunit and slave CD player.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Maybe not what you want, but here's what I did.

Stock radio:

You must be registered for see images

Plus this:

You must be registered for see images attach

Gave me iPod (iPhone 4s) charging and digital in to the OEM radio. It also has two aux in jacks. I snagged one cheap off ebay as a NOS clear out kinda deal.

I can change songs back and forth using the radio controls but it doesn't display music info, just track number. Where it becomes handy is if you install the OEM steering wheel controls using 88GMCTruck's tutorial. Then you can control the ipod from the steering wheel controls just like you would the radio.

The interface replaces the slave CD unit. No big deal for me as everything is MP3 or FLAC for me now. I have cd's somewhere, but I haven't even seen them in years.

Now if you want to go amplifiers, I went LOC since the OEM unit doesn't have preouts. I used an amplified LOC that I got off of......wait for it......ebay.

Yeah I know; ebay junk. But wait for it......

I've used a lot of LOC's for people before and came away kind of "meh" or "bleh", but this one is very surprising. Powered, intelligent remote turn on (imp since the OEM doesn't have one), full 9V step up. It's the same one available through David Navone, but only ten bucks:

what I think has happened is that Navone designed it, had it built overseas and now it's being "back-doored" out whatever factory was building it.

I fed it off the front channels since they are full range. A plus of using high levels back to a LOC is they are more resistant to signal interference.

I'm very fussy on sound quality, but this one works well enough for me and that's saying something. I was even surprised the Delco didn't get noisy when run through a LOC as most OEM radios do after the radio's built in amplifier section. Then again, the OEM Delco units are pretty good to start with. An unusual trait for an OEM radio.

Anyways, it's another option. Especially if you're on a budget or looking for a "stealth" install.

:)

Last edited:

94LowRider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had good Luck with KW KDC-205, KDC-494, KDC_852 currently in the van, and a 996 in the truck, ALL have served well and are GOOD quality.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Maybe not what you want, but here's what I did.

Stock radio:

Plus this:

Gave me iPod (iPhone 4s) charging and digital in to the OEM radio. It also has two aux in jacks. I snagged one cheap off ebay as a NOS clear out kinda deal.

I can change songs back and forth using the radio controls but it doesn't display music info, just track number. Where it becomes handy is if you install the OEM steering wheel controls using 88GMCTruck's tutorial. Then you can control the ipod from the steering wheel controls just like you would the radio.

The interface replaces the slave CD unit. No big deal for me as everything is MP3 or FLAC for me now. I have cd's somewhere, but I haven't even seen them in years.

Now if you want to go amplifiers, I went LOC since the OEM unit doesn't have preouts. I used an amplified LOC that I got off of......wait for it......ebay.

Yeah I know; ebay junk. But wait for it......

I've used a lot of LOC's for people before and came away kind of "meh" or "bleh", but this one is very surprising. Powered, intelligent remote turn on (imp since the OEM doesn't have one), full 9V step up. It's the same one available through David Navone, but only ten bucks:

what I think has happened is that Navone designed it, had it built overseas and now it's being "back-doored" out whatever factory was building it.

I fed it off the front channels since they are full range. A plus of using high levels back to a LOC is they are more resistant to signal interference.

I'm very fussy on sound quality, but this one works well enough for me and that's saying something. I was even surprised the Delco didn't get noisy when run through a LOC as most OEM radios do after the radio's built in amplifier section. Then again, the OEM Delco units are pretty good to start with. An unusual trait for an OEM radio.

Anyways, it's another option. Especially if you're on a budget or looking for a "stealth" install.

:)

I need to find one of those head units at the junkyard, I have the base level head unit without CD Player so unfortunately I can't use that awesome "stealth" option

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I need to find one of those head units at the junkyard, I have the base level head unit without CD Player so unfortunately I can't use that awesome "stealth" option

As long as it has an "aux" button, you should be good.

Base model radio only is Sol though......:(

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Check both your amps for an RCA pass-thru outputs. My Rockford Fosgate r400-4d has them, but those type of outputs are usually featured on newer amps.
If one of your amps has those outputs, you can "daisy chain" your amps.
Model numbers or pics of your amps would help.

Another option: use two RCA "Y" cables at the head unit.

I recommend waiting until you can get a head unit with 4 pre-outs.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Yeah the bluetooth on this thing is awesome and it's easy to get used to (pretty sure those are the reasons the guy recommended it to me, plus he said he never had major problems with Pioneer)
The bluetooth is cool cause I can wirelessly play a song on my phone now (I have an iPhone) and it goes straight through all the speakers and it comes with a microphone you can hide away somewhere so you can take calls wirelessly and the mic will catch it all
All in all it's pretty cool and I like being able to put music in a USB and just shuffling it... I haven't had it long but it seems great if you're interested