Lifted or Lowered Need help please and thank you

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well you got a 2wd. So really I would pic the look you want. Is this your dd? Do you tow every now and then? Wanna jump a curb? Lol

I have a 2wd suburban. I felt like stock height was too low. I like being about to lay on a creeper and easily slide under the truck for maintenance. I'm not scared to jump a curb and every now and then drive through some floods. I went with a 4" lift from rc. I personally dont care for lowered trucks. But there are plenty of trucks on here that look really nice. If you want to go that route theres all kinds of info on the kits and mods people do.

Myles Key

Reaction score
Thank you.... I’m 16 so yeah this truck would be my DD, I wasn’t planning on doing anything crazy with this truck just making her look better and be fun to drive and look at etc. That inspiration image was a 6 in BDS lift and I like that I was just trying to gain some different insight on what other people think lol.. and being able to jump a curb would have nice lol

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you.... I’m 16 so yeah this truck would be my DD, I wasn’t planning on doing anything crazy with this truck just making her look better and be fun to drive and look at etc. That inspiration image was a 6 in BDS lift and I like that I was just trying to gain some different insight on what other people think lol.. and being able to jump a curb would have nice lol

Understandable. Just my 2cents:) here in houston you just never know what may pop up on the road. Now another thing to consider if when going for a lift and bigger tires things wear out faster. So for example bushing, u joints , ball joints, and possibly transmission. We've had my suburban for 23yrs and a lot of parts have 474k miles on them. So I knew going with the lift things will get replaced. My goals is to redo everything so this rig is as close to new or mint condition as possible.

Myles Key

Reaction score
Yeah thanks, that’s pretty much how it goes, my truck has 150k miles on it and no rust so that’s a plus lol... I have done gallons and tons of research... what’s you opinion of lifting a 2wd truck lol

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a lifted and a lowered. They each have their advantages and disadvantages. The lowered one is easy to get in/out of, handles better, better on gas lol. The lifted is nice cause sit up higher, can see down the road farther, goes in the mud better, more fun to play in the snow. But I dont get lifting a 2wd. A little bit, maybe an inch or two is fine, but anything more than that just get a 4wd. I have pics here somewhere.....

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m 16 so yeah this truck would be my DD, I wasn’t planning on doing anything crazy with this truck just making her look better and be fun to drive and look at etc.
Being 16, I'm pretty sure you'd like for your truck to help attract some romantic attention. Raising or lowering the truck or putting a loud exhaust or loud stereo doesn't mean as much as having it comfy and clean on the inside.

First, make sure the truck runs and drives safe. Good brakes with the rear drums adjusted properly. Tight steering with a good rag joint. The engine shouldn't stall or bog when entering traffic. Seat belts must work.

Then focus on the inside. If your seats are ratty, recover or replace them. If the carpet's stained, pull it out, pressure wash it, and spray it with some carpet paint. Replace all those broken trim bits. Make sure the door handles and windows work smoothly. If you open the door for a date, and the inside looks like a meth lab, you're getting nowhere.

Then focus on the outside. That ratty looking grille? Take it off, scrub the flakiness off, and spray it gloss or semi-gloss black. The clouded turn signal lenses? Less than $6 each on Rock Auto. Make it look showroom new, and your dates won't hesitate to hop in.

That's the easy stuff. Next, make sure the truck runs and drives tip-top. Once that's done, raise or lower it, but know it's never a once-and-done thing. There's always some extra work that comes along with modding. You'll introduce a new problem that you have to fix.

Raising the truck means more access underneath to get work done, but also having to climb into the engine bay to work on it. Lowering the truck means easier access to the engine bay, but always having to use jackstands when working under it. I prefer lowered vehicles, but I'm keeping my stepside at near the stock height so I can crawl under it - I'm dropping the rear to get rid of the stinkbug look. Unless you go crazy low, you won't have a problem with road hazards. Raising the truck will look goofy until you buy bigger wheels and tires. You can lower the truck and it will look fine on the stock rims and tires.

Keep us posted. Start a build thread.

Myles Key

Reaction score
Being 16, I'm pretty sure you'd like for your truck to help attract some romantic attention. Raising or lowering the truck or putting a loud exhaust or loud stereo doesn't mean as much as having it comfy and clean on the inside.

First, make sure the truck runs and drives safe. Good brakes with the rear drums adjusted properly. Tight steering with a good rag joint. The engine shouldn't stall or bog when entering traffic. Seat belts must work.

Then focus on the inside. If your seats are ratty, recover or replace them. If the carpet's stained, pull it out, pressure wash it, and spray it with some carpet paint. Replace all those broken trim bits. Make sure the door handles and windows work smoothly. If you open the door for a date, and the inside looks like a meth lab, you're getting nowhere.

Then focus on the outside. That ratty looking grille? Take it off, scrub the flakiness off, and spray it gloss or semi-gloss black. The clouded turn signal lenses? Less than $6 each on Rock Auto. Make it look showroom new, and your dates won't hesitate to hop in.

That's the easy stuff. Next, make sure the truck runs and drives tip-top. Once that's done, raise or lower it, but know it's never a once-and-done thing. There's always some extra work that comes along with modding. You'll introduce a new problem that you have to fix.

Raising the truck means more access underneath to get work done, but also having to climb into the engine bay to work on it. Lowering the truck means easier access to the engine bay, but always having to use jackstands when working under it. I prefer lowered vehicles, but I'm keeping my stepside at near the stock height so I can crawl under it - I'm dropping the rear to get rid of the stinkbug look. Unless you go crazy low, you won't have a problem with road hazards. Raising the truck will look goofy until you buy bigger wheels and tires. You can lower the truck and it will look fine on the stock rims and tires.

Keep us posted. Start a build thread.

Thank you everybody for responses... And i do agree with everything you said... In fact, i have done most of those things that you have listed like replace the front grille and replacing the signal lights, I am working on furthering into other things. A clean nice appealing truck will make life a lot better and nicer lol. With all my research i have done i believe I’m just going to do a leveling kit in the future but I’m not really worried about that kind of stuff right now anyway. Plus in the long run my truck has been kept up right and kept clean not rust and only a 150k miles, engine runs smoothly and is well tough and built...My dad has done 90 in my truck just fine lol. And thanks for the idea i will create another thread and post any progress i have made lol
And here’s a picture of my truck as she is right now.
Thanks again

You must be registered for see images attach