License Plate Lights Problem..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ritchison07

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just recently purchased my truck, and found out that my license plate lights do not work.

i crawled underneath and discovered that the PO had cut the wires that lead from the bulbs to the rest of the wiring underneath the truck. there is a few wires that are exposed as well, and im not sure what they lead too.

the bulb wires are Black and Brown, and i was wondering what i need to connect them too in order to make my lights work again.

i tried to take some pictures of what im dealing with, but it was dark and the quality isnt so great. any help would be really appreciated though..

harness underneath.
You must be registered for see images attach

random cut wires, not sure what they need to be reconnected too. they were wrapped around the frame and capped off

license plate bulb wires that were cut, need to figure out what to hook them back up too

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly you licence plate lights go to the plug shown in the first pic.

Does everything else work properly?

Ritchison07

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I remember correctly you licence plate lights go to the plug shown in the first pic.

Does everything else work properly?

yes, both signals, reverse lights and tail/brake lights all work normally. i tried to connect brown with brown, black with black from the bulbs to the harness but still nothing. all my fuses are good as well, first things i checked.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you hooked them up to the 2 wire plug in the first pic and they still dont work?

Do you have a trailer harness? If so you can splice them into there too.

Ritchison07

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you hooked them up to the 2 wire plug in the first pic and they still dont work?

Do you have a trailer harness? If so you can splice them into there too.

yeah, i tried to hook them up to the two wire harness, and still nothing. im thinking i might just have two bad bulb sockets.
negative on the trailer harness. i wonder if they PO tried to hook one up and cut all those wires underneath but gave up on it..

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, i tried to hook them up to the two wire harness, and still nothing. im thinking i might just have two bad bulb sockets.
negative on the trailer harness. i wonder if they PO tried to hook one up and cut all those wires underneath but gave up on it..

Possible on hacked wireing by PO. I would put 2 new bulbs in there and take a test light to the harness and find the parking light wire and splice it in there

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I have a license plate light harness from when I went from a bumper to a roll pan. It's virginal. PM me your addy & I'll send it off to you. That's if you still need it.