Lets talk about this here governer in my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the OBDI's but on the OBDII's you HAVE to have a speed limit in the tune, there is no way to actually REMOVE it. however, I have mine set at ~250mph :D, so that it my speed governor. heh

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't ya love when the moon guages in the 88-94's would run back around when tryin to top it out? Think my 90 was gunned at 124 and the speedo just hit 30...damn i always thought that was cool.

'88 to early-'91, but yeah. I've had my '91 around to 55 before. Good times.

I had an 89 when I was 14. Had that thing back around to 40. I about **** myself.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
i love the older gauges that wrap around,,thats another reason y i love my truck

i used to love my needles back when everything worked, now the only thing that works is the gas gauge, speedo, and voltmeter.

Tach, Oil PSI read 0
and the Coolant temp has been screwed since i bought the truck, needles goes to the middle as soon as you turn the key, even if truck has been sitting for months.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i love the older gauges that wrap around,,thats another reason y i love my truck

I prefer the look of the late-'91-'94 gauges, but hate that they peg out just past 85. The only reason I've never bothered to upgrade mine is because I at least have some idea of how fast I'm going past 85.

Badass69

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I prefer the look of the late-'91-'94 gauges, but hate that they peg out just past 85. The only reason I've never bothered to upgrade mine is because I at least have some idea of how fast I'm going past 85.

That's why you do like some of us and get a 454SS cluster, lol. Mine is metric of course, but the 6K tach and 180 km/hr speedo is much nicer than the 5K 140 km/hr arrangement. Don't tell me they are hard to find either until you look for one that isn't in mph. There are honestly probably 10 US destined 454SS trucks for every Canadian/Mexican bound one so trust me, I know. I have been looking on and off for a metric one for around 10years before I got mine.

1993 is the first year the trucks recieved a top speed limiter, coincidentally with the introduction of the 4L60E. The 92's do not have one, or a rev limiter for that matter. I know because I buried my 92's tach enough times to bend a pushrod and I ran it well beyond 100 mph ( handheld gps units are great).

The old moonies are kinda lame, lol. I like having a tach. I know the Topkicks have moonies with a tach in a cluster that is physically the same size. I have no idea what kind of pinout arrangement they have on the back however.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah if I were going to swap out 88-94 for a different cluster it would be Dakota Digital, then you could see your speed as fast as you want to go.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Except for the fact that Dakota Digital screams early-'90s and costs an arm and a leg. If I can ever afford to do the custom dash that I really want to do with a full compliment of Auto Meter gauges, then I'll do away with the moonies. I don't see that happening anytime soon, soooo....