LCAs hitting spindles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. The "spindle" is the steel shaft that the wheel bearings ride on. The "spindle" is a press-fit in the Steering Knuckle which is made of cast iron. In this case, the steering knuckle (not the spindle) is banging into the control arm at full steering lock.

2. I just looked at a 6-lug and an 8-lug 4WD; both have reinforced sections of the control arms, and reinforced sections of the steering knuckle. They're INTENDED to act as steering stops.

3. I fully expect that your 2WD is designed the same way--so unless someone presents evidence to the contrary, I'm saying "Yeah, they do that". Totally normal. IF (big IF) there's a problem, I'd suggest that the aftermarket control arm is not sufficiently reinforced at the contact point--thin metal, different design, etc.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
1. The "spindle" is the steel shaft that the wheel bearings ride on. The "spindle" is a press-fit in the Steering Knuckle which is made of cast iron. In this case, the steering knuckle (not the spindle) is banging into the control arm at full steering lock.

The shaft/knuckle assembly is usually refereed to as a spindle on a 2wd.... your not just getting a shaft when you buy "dropped spindles" or pick up a used set of stock "spindles".

2. I just looked at a 6-lug and an 8-lug 4WD; both have reinforced sections of the control arms, and reinforced sections of the steering knuckle. They're INTENDED to act as steering stops.

Agreed

3. I fully expect that your 2WD is designed the same way--so unless someone presents evidence to the contrary, I'm saying "Yeah, they do that". Totally normal. IF (big IF) there's a problem, I'd suggest that the aftermarket control arm is not sufficiently reinforced at the contact point--thin metal, different design, etc.

If he's feeling something hit, something is wrong, but I suspect it's not where he thinks it is.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The shaft/knuckle assembly is usually refereed to as a spindle on a 2wd.... your not just getting a shaft when you buy "dropped spindles" or pick up a used set of stock "spindles".
Yup. That's what I'm hoping to correct, one reader at a time.

If he's feeling something hit, something is wrong, but I suspect it's not where he thinks it is.
Possible. I'd like better photo(s) of the "damage" to the control arm.