Knock sensor issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Latest knock sensor was waiting in mailbox when I arrived home just now... Just holding it in my hand with meter and barely tapping it with my finger shoots up over 100mv.. Couldn't get that if I beat the other 2 to death....
Feeling pretty good about this one...
Will update once it's in later....
Wow...

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I put the new knock sensor in. My old one left a code 43...Cleared it..
This new one detects knocks no problem but I don't see or hear any timing retard?

There was the one time I was able to hear the timing retard with my old one but it only happened that one time and the engine was about halfway warmed up if I had to recall...idk...Just an observation...

A knock signal, no matter what intensity should retard timing??? Or is it dependent on intensity?Frequency...?

The test in the book says to look for knock signal which I definitely see.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
RPMs have to be up a bit to hear it retard while tapping block, I'm guessing the scanner will show that too.....
: another win for NOS

AC Delco...:wtf2: man? Guess they don't sell enough of these sensors to care enough to do any quality control? I had no luck finding out anything apart from being told they have been getting the sensors made in the same place for ages......
Wonder how many people are driving around with bunk sensors...

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
During your troubleshooting expedition I've been poking around the interwebs, and other AC Delco knock sensor customers
are also seeing similar failures with brand new stock and writing about it in other forums as well?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-...gen-3-knock-sensors-have-dropped-quality.html

Anyway, good on you for troubleshooting your way through all this by taking the time to run the tests.
Imagine the frustration of just loading a parts cannon with new (bad) parts, then thinking that they have
been eliminated as the root cause...and still having a problem?

As always, thanks for closing the loop by reporting back with your results!

Good luck, and safe travels!

Last edited:

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you and everyone else!
Having bad past experiences that has lead me to try to do some things myself and now having to add quality control to that list.... sounds about right...lol

Too bad Mouser doesn't sell oem auto parts...they'd probably weed out some stuff...