Key won't turn to START position

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cheetahranger

Reaction score
Hi, so I'm trying to figure out what's wrong with my 93 Sierra 1500, and I've found a mix of answers, so I'll describe the problem. To start, it's got a 4l60e. Sometimes it'll be a little hard to pull the column shifter out of park, normally if im pushed up against a curb or something. Anyways, today I started it like normal, and it didn't want to shift out of park (with brake depressed). So figuring it's just a little old and stuck, I pulled harder. It roughly popped into reverse, then drive like normal and I was on my way. In about 10 seconds I pulled over because I noticed the speedometer and temp gauge were completely non functioning and it wouldn't shift out of first. I put it in park, turned the truck off. Started it back up, drove to my destination, no issues whatsoever. Then I go to leave, and here's the problem. The key will not turn to the start position in the lock cylinder. No matter how much wiggling of the key, the shifter, the wheel, etc. Also, it will now let me shift out of park into any gear WITHOUT depressing the brake. My thoughts would be the shift interlock, if a 93 has one??? Or maybe the brake light switch, which I replaced about two weeks ago. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Up through 1994, you can shift out of park as long as the key is not in the "lock" position. Brake-to-shift wasn't a feature until the 1995 interior redesign; completely different column.

Something tells me this is a tilt column and it might be really loose.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Okay great to know, and yes it is a tilt column.
If your column feels loose, as in you can grab the wheel and wiggle it up and down without touching the tilt lever.. look up videos on youtube about tightening up a loose GM tilt column. There are minor differences depending on year and model of vehicle but they are all very similar. You'll need a steering wheel puller and lock ring depressor tool, which can be borrowed/rented from the auto parts store. Getting deep enough in there takes a little bit of disassembly, pay close attention to the videos. Tighten up those bolts and see if it resolves your ignition switch issue.

Cramming the drive tires up against a curb can generally make any vehicle hard to get out of park, so in the future I'd just try to avoid that. It's putting extra stress on the park pawl inside the transmission, and as you have found, on the shift mechanism in the column when you go to take it out of park.

Richard

cheetahranger

Reaction score
If your column feels loose, as in you can grab the wheel and wiggle it up and down without touching the tilt lever.. look up videos on youtube about tightening up a loose GM tilt column. There are minor differences depending on year and model of vehicle but they are all very similar. You'll need a steering wheel puller and lock ring depressor tool, which can be borrowed/rented from the auto parts store. Getting deep enough in there takes a little bit of disassembly, pay close attention to the videos. Tighten up those bolts and see if it resolves your ignition switch issue.

Cramming the drive tires up against a curb can generally make any vehicle hard to get out of park, so in the future I'd just try to avoid that. It's putting extra stress on the park pawl inside the transmission, and as you have found, on the shift mechanism in the column when you go to take it out of park.

Richard
Thanks for the info!

Ruff Idol

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My first thought is the lock cylinder. Could be getting jammed up. If you feel like replacing it (probably good to do it preventatively in case of theft - mine totally went and then the truck could start with no key!), the job isn't too bad and a good replacement from ACDelco is dirt cheap. Just need a steering wheel puller & lock plate removal tool.