Keep your OBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not the guys on the line, it's the bean counters that run the show.
? I mean, someone should have caught that, right? And I assume whoever it is that should have caught that is in the same union that expected the [at least] 25% pay raise.

There's just no excuse for GM missing that. The quality is not commensurate with the cost.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
? I mean, someone should have caught that, right? And I assume whoever it is that should have caught that is in the same union that expected the [at least] 25% pay raise.

Again, it's the way the place is run. You can point out deficiencies all you want, but if it doesn't hurt GM's bottom line, GM doesn't care. The truck still sold.

There's just no excuse for GM missing that. The quality is not commensurate with the cost.

My thoughts exactly, but the guys on the line have no control over that. They're part of a process that doesn't stop for things that the bean counters consider inconsequential.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agreed. The early years of the 400s had paint issues too. I guy I worked with back in the mid to late 90's, had an '89 or '90 1500, that had almost no paint on the hood and roof. It was a wide spread problem, not isolated to the 400s of that era.

A lot of GM cars/trucks from the 80s-00s have that problem. I'm very blessed that I don't have that problem on my '97. Even GMT800s had this issue too. In my experience, the paint either is rich and new looking or completely stripped and worn away. Almost no in between.

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
10 bolts axles will be broken when abused, same with the 4L60e...I will concede the 4L60e is definitely the weaker link out of the two. All I've ever heard is second hand info on 10 bolt destruction...and I have used them on the farm for tasks they were not meant to do, and none of mine let me down.

I agree with you. I have never had any problems with either 4L60Es or 10 bolts. First 4L60E died of old age and 2nd one died bc of an aftermarket cooler installed by PO. My 2 10 bolts managed to rust away before they failed mechanically too. Most of the hate comes from other members who have had much worse luck than myself...Although it would've been nice if GM would've done a 4L80E in 1/2 ton trucks right out the gate.

1madmouse

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each brand has its problems, like spark plugs blowing out in fords. Since I got my 93 Silverado in 96 it has lost an alternator, starter, and 1 trans. With 172k on the speedo and proper maintenance I consider myself lucky. The paint wasn't completely trashed , but had it painted anyway and it will be my forever truck. I am looking for another one to rebuild.

A big Merry Christmas to everyone here

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. The early years of the 400s had paint issues too. I guy I worked with back in the mid to late 90's, had an '89 or '90 1500, that had almost no paint on the hood and roof. It was a wide spread problem, not isolated to the 400s of that era.
GM has never been able to come up with a formula to make white paint stick to metal.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
GM has never been able to come up with a formula to make white paint stick to metal.
I heard it was a surface prep and paint brand/type/ formulation compatibility problem. Our '90 Burb had that problem on the front end; the roof had been repainted by a previous owner. But I see trucks frequently that have that problem. There's one near my shop building that I saw Saturday. I'll see if I can get a picture today....

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard it was a surface prep and paint brand/type/ formulation compatibility problem. Our '90 Burb had that problem on the front end; the roof had been repainted by a previous owner. But I see trucks frequently that have that problem. There's one near my shop building that I saw Saturday. I'll see if I can get a picture today....
Yeah,it must have been incompatibility with the primer and base coat. All those peeling trucks had good primer or at least primer that adhered to the steel. Wonder if they were trying to save time by not scuffing the primer and giving it tooth?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just happened to notice the night before last, a guy that works at one of the storage lots I drop at, has a white Nissan Murano with the paint peeling off the hood in big patches just like an early 90's GMT400. ;)

Richard

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Paint peeling is something I have seen for many years in the shops I ran and in my trucks I have owned. It ****** me off that quality control could not have put out a quality paint job that EVERYONE sees. It is something my fellow members at the Tahoe/Yukon Forum talk about too. Cracked dashes, too. BUT, I love the rest of the truck and on B.A.T. site, they still bring big bucks at the auctions.