K2500 Axle Rebound Shutter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Philip Parker

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Yall - long time reader but this is my first post.

So I just did an entire front end rebuild. Poly for almost all bushings, every wear item got replaced. Did a PSC XD steering gear and pump, SS Idler bracket, Cognito Arm braces...the works. The front end feels great.

As I turn my attention to the rear axle, I decided to throw on a set of Bilstein B6s to get the ride a little better before I tear into the disc conversion and bushing replacement etc, and I swear they have done almost nothing to improve the ride.

When I go over a bump in the road, the rebound shutter from the rear axle in this truck shakes everything in the cab. It is crazy. I realize there is a ton of sprung weight on the axle, but even with 1000lbs of dirt in the back it does the same thing. With brand new shocks.

Are my leaf bushings totally smoked or are the leaf packs bound up or worn out? Ride height looks fine. Body mounts appear to be good. I'm wondering if the bushings are so bad that they aren't transferring all the movement into the shocks and basically just bouncing around on the shackles. Worst riding 3/4 ton rear end I have ever experienced.

Who here has done the leaf bushings or replaced with new leafs? What did it do?

Thanks for any ideas.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How many springs are there in your rear leaf spring packs?