K1500 starter issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see that coming. Clearly, you didn't have the heat shield installed.

I still don't understand how a melted solenoid can cause the drive to "not engage" when the starter spins.

One wonders if there are TWO problems with that starter--melted solenoid, AND a failed starter drive.

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There use to be a Mr Gasket alum heat shield for older larger starters. Put it on one car and it deff helped, until later installed a mini starter and no longer had the issue because I could clock the solenoid away.

Still for it to melt like that, you may be running pretty lean.

Heat reduces electric conductivity or adds resistance, for example I've herd a block mounted Electric water pump can loose around 30% efficiency when heat soaked vs a remote pump.

Another point is even tho a starter battery cable/wire seems large, it is very undersized for the cranking amps(you can look at a chart of amps per wire size). Since the starter use is so short, they get away with this temp use of undersized wire BUT it heats up fast and that's why you can damage your starter with excessive cranking.

BOOT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was starting a build thread for my truck and remembered a good tip. Clean the block, that's how the starter grounds.

chris2323

Reaction score
Yes i think its a 2 problem issue. I installed a new solenoid and the starter is still not working right. Occasionally it will just spin but not engage the flywheel. I put a heat shield on the starter and plan on wrapping my headers next chance I get. I think i may need to buy a whole new starter

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The starter CANNOT spin without engaging the flywheel, unless the solenoid contacts are welded together--which happens, but it's fairly rare. It would crank all the time, you'd have to pull the battery cable to stop it.

If the starter is spinning, but the engine isn't cranking, the starter drive has probably failed.

MOST folks replace the starter. Starter drives and shift forks are available, although you'd probably have to order the shift fork and wait for it to show up. While you're in there, replace both bushings, the brushes, polish the armature contacts, and toss in a new leather washer.

Like I said...most folks replace the starter.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a common problem with the bendix on rebuilt starters with a high level of chinesium 238. I have the old "Bestop" starter off my Suburban laying around somewhere. Spins great, but the gear doesn't kick out. If I can find it I might shoot a quick video and post it.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it will just spin but not engage the flywheel.

Spins great, but the gear doesn't kick out.
How are you folks determining that the "gear doesn't engage the flywheel" or "gear doesn't kick out"?

I see this described on multiple forums, and by people in-person for the last forty years.