Just a PSA to all my fellow TBI owners.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Some of you guys may have seen my recent thread in which my truck had a few problems all at once. I fixed most of them today. It was idling like crap and would hesitate pretty bad off of red lights/stop signs, etc. So today I decided to rip off the TBI and check some stuff.

HOLY BUILDUP BATMAN!

Seriously, most of the vacuum passages were caked with crap, especially the larger one that goes to the pass. side valve cover, that one was basically closed off with crud. So I took some brake cleaner (probably overkill, oh well) and sprayed the living **** out of the passages, top, and bores of the TBI. Then followed up with carb cleaner and wiped off the stubborn stuff with a wire brush.

Just posting this so you guys are more aware of these problems. I'm sure a few of you have problems with poor performance/economy, so do yourselves, and your trucks a favor and clean that TBI! Works wonders! My truck is running better than when I first got it. Here are some loose steps (that I followed). I recommend getting a throttle body rebuilt kit. Shouldn't be too expensive at O'Reillys or Autozone.

WARNING: Be very careful with ALL bolts and screws! You don't want one falling into the intake!!!!

-1. Remove all the electrical connectors and vacuum lines from the TBI. For the injector wiring, they are held to the TBI with a little rectangular rubber thing, that pops out using a flathead screwdriver.
-2. Remove the fuel lines. Use a 3/4 wrench for the large nut to hold it in place, and 5/8 to unscrew the smaller one. Don't worry, if any fuel spills out, it should only be a few drops.
-3. Remove the three hex screws that hold the injector pod onto the TBI, then wiggle it out, and be careful not to bend the fuel lines while pulling it off.
-4. Remove the three bolts holding the TBI onto the intake. I forget the size, but it's a regular socket, and you can use an extension to make things alot easier.
-5. Carefully pull the TBI off the intake. The gasket is very thick and should not break, but do it slowly in case it does, you don't want a big chunk falling into the intake.
-6. I would put a rag or a few shop towels over the two intake holes to avoid any dirt/debris falling in.

At this point, the TBI and injector pod should be seperate units.

-7. Take the IAC and TPS off the throttle body, don't lose the gaskets.
-8. Clean the hell out of the TBI. At this point there should be no electrical components, so you can spray the hell out of it, or straight-up dunk it in cleaner if you want.
-(optional) I'm not gonna go into the procedure, but you can disassemble the injector pod and clean that if you want. Wouldn't be a bad Idea to replace the seals and injector screens.

Now you can reverse this procedure and put everything back together. Make sure you get everything nice and tight so that you don't have any leaks. Also wouldn't be a bad idea to check the vacuum lines for any crap in them, and the valve that pops out of the pass. side valve cover. I cleaned mine with brake fluid.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Haha cause your truck was taken care of it's whole life. Mine was a beat-to-**** ranch truck for 20 years :lol: tested and proven.

Well, it sat in a driveway for 10 years.... never moving... :lol:s

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
I will. I don't think this truck will ever leave.