junkyard brake upgrade ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hydroboost uses fluid pressure from the power steering pump to assist you in stopping instead of using engine vacume like most light duty car's and truck's use. Hydoboost also creates almost twice the brake psi force than the vacume type, it makes a huge difference in stopping, I have converted several of my truck's to Hydroboost. If you decide to swap you will need the Hydroboost unit, 3 lines running to it, a matching hydroboost master cylinder, brake pedal and pushrod, and yes the brake pedal is different and must be changed. Also you can either run your existing power steering pump and tee in to the return line, or buy a hydroboost pump that has the extra hookup for the second return line, but I have used the stock pump with the return line tee'd in to several times with no problem's.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is the unit that bolt's to the firewall, and then the master cylinder is bolted to it. It's the main part.

monstar_est87

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea the hydroboost setup will really make ur obs shatter the rotors wen u slam on the brakes..! Not really but it does double if not triple the force behind braking vs. stock vacuum... Im lookin to do this swap in the future... Mayb sum1 can be so kind as to post pictures or possibly a walk through of theyre build..?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
thatd be good, and does the hydroboost work on the rears or just the fronts, someone earlier in this post mentioned escalade rear brakes are discs and can be swapped, if so are they hydroboost compatible

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
The hydroboost is what's used on the diesel engine setups, find an obs with a diesel engine and look under the hood. If I were home right now, I would have pics up of the hydroboost, but sadly I won't be anywhere near any of my trucks till middle of next week. It looks NOTHING like a standard brake booster, instead it's a small unit with 3 hydraulic lines running into it. It uses pressure from your power steering pump to assist in braking(internals probably consist of some sort of hydraulic "ram" that assists in pushing the brakes for you). I DO know that when your pump wears down it tends to cause your steering to feel like it's locked when you're sitting in gear holding the brakes, because your power steering pump is having to work both your steering AND your brakes simultaneously.

To answer your question, it doesn't matter the brake system you have, the hydroboost works like a "super brake booster", it doesn't affect your master cylinder at all and your master cylinder is what your front/rear brakes are run by, so yes, it works for both front and rear brakes.

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
whats the difference between the rears in these 1500's and the ss camaros? i know the thirdgens maros which are 8 or 10 bolt i think can have ss's put on them. i just wonder if any of that is true for the trucks

All cmaros use the rear end same as s10's... It is a 7.25 inch ten bolt... You do not want the entire axle... And the disks on them will be practically useless on a much heavier truck

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
did the trucks with hydroboost have ABS? i think im understanding this more. the hydroboost takes place of the booster, then you can just use the rest of the assmebly from the hydroboost truck? then the three lines, not sure how those work out yet except for the fact that you have to cut into the hard line and T them. and change the brake pedal from the donor truck. am i missing anything. do all the mounting hole line up or do you have todrill new ones?

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Some Hydroboost truck's had abs and some didn't, it depends on the year and GVW of the truck.