Its cold out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And i dont have heat. When i turn on my heat, air blows (which is good) but sometimes its cold (which is bad). The control panel is set to the hot side. But i still end up freezing my arse off and wishing the air blew this cold in winter. When i hit the temp button, i can hear a noise coming from the passengers side (some sort of actuator). What part is causing cold air to blow sometimes not others? My heater core was cleaned last month. Is it the blend door actuator? I know the fresh air door (recirc) motor needs replaced too. For refrence, its a 91 k1500 v6.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you say heater core was cleaned do you mean it was flushed with water through the core ,or leaves and depris cleaned from the heater case? Do both heater hoses get hot when truck is up to temp?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
" For refrence, its a 91 k1500 v6." the problem is its a V6

I resemble that remark. :lol:

They're good engines! As hard as I've beaten on mine in the red truck, the fact that it still holds 40PSI of oil pressure at idle is nothing short of a miracle.

To the OP, these guys are on the right track. Could be coolant levels, thermostat, blend door issue, or a combination of any/all. If none of that stuff gets it and the truck is coming up to temp OK on the gauge, my guess would be that your heater core has a clog somewhere.

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well i do feel like an idiot. Coolant was way low... shoulda known

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
" For refrence, its a 91 k1500 v6." the problem is its a V6
I couldnt agree or disagree more. Its a gutless wonder. Its got just enough guts to tow my 2 horse loaded down with my ****** horses at 50, but it doesnt like getting up to 50. Its also pretty slow. But its done everything ive asked it to, for 279,000 miles none the less. It starts every day over 10 degrees (and most days under that), and has never overheated in the 110+ summers of arizona. But, like i said before, it has n0 balls whatsoever.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I couldnt agree or disagree more. Its a gutless wonder. Its got just enough guts to tow my 2 horse loaded down with my ****** horses at 50, but it doesnt like getting up to 50. Its also pretty slow. But its done everything ive asked it to, for 279,000 miles none the less. It starts every day over 10 degrees (and most days under that), and has never overheated in the 110+ summers of arizona. But, like i said before, it has n0 balls whatsoever.

Depending on the gear ratio, it could be gutless. With 3.73 cogs on the ends, it won't be terrible. If it's higher geared than that, might not be the greatest. Vortec trucks are more powerful than the TBI trucks though.

Axle RPO code in the glovebox will tell you what gear ratio it came with when you decode it.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Well i do feel like an idiot. Coolant was way low... shoulda known

Always check the basics first.

If heat 'comes and goes' when you are idling vs. driving, that's the first thing to check.

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depending on the gear ratio, it could be gutless. With 3.73 cogs on the ends, it won't be terrible. If it's higher geared than that, might not be the greatest. Vortec trucks are more powerful than the TBI trucks though.

Axle RPO code in the glovebox will tell you what gear ratio it came with when you decode it.
Way ahead of you. Its an open GU6 rear end. I have a GU6 G80 rear end waiting to go in. I had a vortec v6 truck with a 5 speed. Thing would bark tires in 2nd on dry pavement. But both still dont have the power i want/need.