Issues with leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CamoGoddess13

Reaction score
I have been having a issue with leaking from where the dip stick tube goes into the transmission. I am wondering if there is a gasket or something that I can replace? Any help would be appreciated

langkg

Reaction score
If it’s a 4L60E the dipstick has a hat shaped grommet that goes in the case. The dipstick is held in place with a double ended bell housing bolt that is real fun to get to…

Make sure your not leaking somewhere else like the case connector for the electrical connection. Sometimes it’s deceiving because fluid can run along the pan rail, etc and lead to misdiagnoses

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP didn't specify what transmission or year.

I believe the TH350/400 had the o-ring. The 4L60e & 80e have the little hat looking seal. Not sure of the 700R4, I've never been close enough on those to notice what they use. I would think it's the same as the latter.

Attachments

• IMG_20220306_194835104.jpg
    IMG_20220306_194835104.jpg
    492.8 KB · Views: 4

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been having a issue with leaking from where the dip stick tube goes into the transmission. I am wondering if there is a gasket or something that I can replace? Any help would be appreciated
WHAT VEHICLE? What transmission?
OP didn't specify what transmission or year.

I believe the TH350/400 had the o-ring. The 4L60e & 80e have the little hat looking seal. Not sure of the 700R4, I've never been close enough on those to notice what they use. I would think it's the same as the latter.
Dipstick tubes sealed with an O-ring have a tendency for the tube to crack where the groove for the O-ring is rolled into the tube. Essentially invisible until you remove the O-ring.

The "top-hat" seal and tube is FAR superior, but harder to work with. I end up getting the lubricated seal 1/2 installed in the trans, the lubricated tube 1/2 installed in the seal...and then cram them into position.

Transmissions can leak from one place, the fluid gets blown-around by under-car wind, and it looks like something else is leaking. Be sure it's really the dipstick tube/seal that's the problem.

CamoGoddess13

Reaction score
Thank you for your help. I have the 4L60e. We definitely know that it's leaking from the dip stick tube area. I just wanted to check if I was going to have a easier fix or need to have a shop do it.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If your truck is a 2wd, remove the transmission crossmember and lower the tailhousing and that will give you enough room to remove the dipstick bracket at the bellhousing. I was reinstalling a transmission once and forgot all about the dipstick, and that's what I did. The bellhousing was already bolted up, but lowering the rear of the transmission worked for me. Put a wide piece of wood if you are using a jack so you don't bend the oil pan of the transmission.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

4x4 would make this a lot more labor-intensive.

CamoGoddess13

Reaction score
I have a 4x4 so I will have the mechanic who installed my rebuilt transmission take care of it. Thank you for your help