Is using a '94 dodge ram 2500 front axle a good idea?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1991 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 that I am starting to collect parts to do a solid axle swap. I cannot find a chevy or ford 60 anywhere close to me for a decent price. I am not looking for anything in perfect shape but also do not want to spend a butt load of money on an axle that needs totally rebuilt. I have access to a front axle out of a 1994 Dodge 2500 for $125. Is this axle any good? Is it even a dana 60? I know it most likely has unit bearings and is not a very sought after axle, I just cant really find any info on the axle so any help is greatly appreciated

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a D60 out of a '92 Dodge... I would think it'd still be 60 but I forget what year they switched to driver's side drop.

supertrucker1978

She Does???
Reaction score
It could be either a D44 or a D60 but its a driver side drop, you will either need a Ford with a passenger side drop or will have to swap out your transfer case.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
you can use just about any ford or chevy axle even dodges just stay away from the 90s stuff with dodges. everyone always says do a high pinion this or that, but honestly chevy axles are just as easy except you have to find and bolt up a different transfer case. most people go with ford axles because they are drivers drop. and honestly if you go ford go coilsprung, leafs really do suck, most people will argue that but a properly done coil setup will be sooooooooooooo much better.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
It could be either a D44 or a D60 but its a driver side drop, you will either need a Ford with a passenger side drop or will have to swap out your transfer case.

The exact opposite of that actually haha

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why does it have to be a dana 60? Why can't it be a 44?

Sent from Robl@nd
I will only use a 60 because I want to do it right the first time and never have to redo it. I know the whole setup I want to use which is 52" front springs and ORD's leaf spring kit. I already have the springs and the kit. I am going with leaf springs for simplicity and the truck is not my dd so it will see minimal street time. I was just looking at the dodge axle because of the cost but I think I will wait until I find a Chevy or Ford 60.