Is this the one !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Whatever !!!!!!!!Dont know squat about this and I get idiots who dont help but just criticise people !!! I am slowly figuring it out.I didn;t know the whole thing went in the front part !!!!I am gonna hang around a diff. one and get real answers !!!!

That was a seriously, majorly not cool thread edit after the fact.

Prepare for thread explosion in.................................3...................................2.....................

Silverfox

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not lashing out. And now your telling me one will fit in what I have when I was told nothing will fit !!! Guys--make up your mind !!!!!!!!!!!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I am not lashing out. And now your telling me one will fit in what I have when I was told nothing will fit !!! Guys--make up your mind !!!!!!!!!!!

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You need to read my post again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!And you are lashing out at people calling them idiots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!You are also saying the forum is useless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!you are also using up all our exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you read my post again I'm telling you that nothing OEM will fit in the OH console you have. If you want the temp/comp display you need to change the console to the proper one and find a display with the US/MET and ON/OFF buttons to fit in it.

You also need the right temp sensor that fits on the front radiator support or the temperature display will not read correctly.

Silverfox

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fine---But why are you guys repeating yourselves !!!!You keep adding stuff and confusing me ---I get it already !!!!!!!Thank You !!

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Your current truck does not support a driver information center - Period. The console you have does not have a factory display unit of any kind available, only a blank panel or HVAC controls - Period.

I hope this doesn't confuse you more, but here are lots of pictures and descriptions I wrote about the available OH consoles GM used in various trucks and SUVs.

Information on overhead consoles:

GMT400 trucks/SUVs used three styles of overhead consoles; A really short SUV style with only rear HVAC controls, and more commonly the longer console, in truck and an suv style. The truck style has a smaller opening in the front (same as the S-10s) and is much harder to find. The SUVs had a larger opening for HVAC contols. There are no options nor provisions for an OH console in a regular cab.

GMT800 trucks/SUVs used two consoles as well; a short console with only a pocket/HVAC and maplights, and an extremely simlar long console as the GMT400 SUV console. The short console is the most common, and is available in all models. The long console is not available in regular cabs.

GMT400 Truck console
The red console is in my 88 Sierra. It's the smaller opening style (shared with the S-10s). It has the compass/temp unit from an S-10 installed in it. The grey console came in my 99 from the factory, and I have since put homelink and a compass temp unit in it.
You must be registered for see images attach

GMT400 SUV console / GMT800 long console.
This is the console in my 02 Sierra. It's the large opening style, and is actually from a GMT400 SUV. The only difference is there is a small gap on the back where it meets the headliner (which you can't see in the regular cab). I have a Denali Driver Information Center custom mounted in mine.

GMT800 Short console variants (first is for a sunroof, second is standard)

Color breakdowns:
GMT400 colors range 92-94 and 95-98 (00c). The 92-94 consoles also had a lighter metallic silver color for the plastic, as opposed to the grey color more commonly seen in 95-98 (00c) trucks. See the difference in the door on the blue console? Both of these were 92-94 consoles from suburbans.

GM800 colors range 99-02 and 03-06 (07c). Some 99-02 colors are interchangeable with 95-98 (00c) such as the medium grey in my 02.

Other Consoles:
S-Series & Astro/Savana consoles will not fit without modification to them, the rooflines are different. There are short, long (similar to a GMT400 truck console, but with a domelight at the back), and super long consoles from these vehicles.

The S-series also had 2 styles of computers available, a basic compass temp unit (with on/off and us/metric buttons) and an advanced one which does mileage (with mode and us/metric buttons). Both will fit in the GMT400 truck console. To use the mileage computer, the vehicle needs to be OBDII. I am unsure what vehicles they will work on, however know they are not compatible with 6.5L diesels and 7.4L gas motors.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Fine---But why are you guys repeating yourselves !!!!You keep adding stuff and confusing me ---I get it already !!!!!!!Thank You !!

We keep repeating ourselves because you keep asking the same question and the answers are the same each time you ask.

You are confusing yourself.

Now put the red bull down, take a deep breath and check your pulse....

Last edited:

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
3 threads for the same topic.

Not understanding at first is fine, but take a chill pill and talk it out like an adult. Try re-reading it, if you still don't get it, post what you don't get. It's a super simple concept. There are tons of people on this site with a vast array of knowledge, and if they weren't here to help you out, we would have most likely scared them off by now.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Your current truck does not support a driver information center - Period. The console you have does not have a factory display unit of any kind available, only a blank panel or HVAC controls - Period.

I hope this doesn't confuse you more, but here are lots of pictures and descriptions I wrote about the available OH consoles GM used in various trucks and SUVs.

Information on overhead consoles:

GMT400 trucks/SUVs used three styles of overhead consoles; A really short SUV style with only rear HVAC controls, and more commonly the longer console, in truck and an suv style. The truck style has a smaller opening in the front (same as the S-10s) and is much harder to find. The SUVs had a larger opening for HVAC contols. There are no options nor provisions for an OH console in a regular cab.

GMT800 trucks/SUVs used two consoles as well; a short console with only a pocket/HVAC and maplights, and an extremely simlar long console as the GMT400 SUV console. The short console is the most common, and is available in all models. The long console is not available in regular cabs.

GMT400 Truck console
The red console is in my 88 Sierra. It's the smaller opening style (shared with the S-10s). It has the compass/temp unit from an S-10 installed in it. The grey console came in my 99 from the factory, and I have since put homelink and a compass temp unit in it.

GMT400 SUV console / GMT800 long console.
This is the console in my 02 Sierra. It's the large opening style, and is actually from a GMT400 SUV. The only difference is there is a small gap on the back where it meets the headliner (which you can't see in the regular cab). I have a Denali Driver Information Center custom mounted in mine.

GMT800 Short console variants (first is for a sunroof, second is standard)

Color breakdowns:
GMT400 colors range 92-94 and 95-98 (00c). The 92-94 consoles also had a lighter metallic silver color for the plastic, as opposed to the grey color more commonly seen in 95-98 (00c) trucks. See the difference in the door on the blue console? Both of these were 92-94 consoles from suburbans.

GM800 colors range 99-02 and 03-06 (07c). Some 99-02 colors are interchangeable with 95-98 (00c) such as the medium grey in my 02.

Other Consoles:
S-Series & Astro/Savana consoles will not fit without modification to them, the rooflines are different. There are short, long (similar to a GMT400 truck console, but with a domelight at the back), and super long consoles from these vehicles.

The S-series also had 2 styles of computers available, a basic compass temp unit (with on/off and us/metric buttons) and an advanced one which does mileage (with mode and us/metric buttons). Both will fit in the GMT400 truck console. To use the mileage computer, the vehicle needs to be OBDII. I am unsure what vehicles they will work on, however know they are not compatible with 6.5L diesels and 7.4L gas motors.

Now THAT'S a detailed answer! Can't ask for more than that! Kudo's!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
3 threads for the same topic.

Not understanding at first is fine, but take a chill pill and talk it out like an adult. Try re-reading it, if you still don't get it, post what you don't get. It's a super simple concept. There are tons of people on this site with a vast array of knowledge, and if they weren't here to help you out, we would have most likely scared them off by now.

How about a thread number 4:

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?21587-old-and-new

:rolleyes: