Is this an oil pressure stepper motor issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do what? lol You're video doesn't really indicate anything, no indication if the truck is running or not and you've not provided really any description of anything.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Yeah, it's pretty typical on these trucks that gauge is not stable. Hell from what I've seen you're lucky it works at all :rofl:
For what it's worth, mine randomly jumps 10psi in either direction at any speed or engine rpm. It's probably something electrical, but it also did that on the original 97 cluster, a 2000 Escalade cluster, and my current 94 cluster (all the same engine and pressure sensor, and I redid all the wiring before the 94 cluster and it still jumps). I wouldn't worry about it.

_rgk

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m wondering whether replacing the stepper motor behind the oil pressure gauge will smooth it out.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Probably not. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think it was RC model grease you could use on the air core motor (it's not a stepper, you'd have to go to 2003 for those) to slow down the movement of the needles? Popular for the fuel gauge on 98+ trucks as it gets thready due to the PWM signal that runs it.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'd suggest replacing the sender/switch. You'll want to verify how many conductors your existing part has....could be one or three.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish my gauges were as smooth as yours. My coolant temp is the only one that holds steady. The rest just kinda dance around and do whatever they want.