IRS in a gmt400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Left pic is 18g no filler, right is 3/16 both mild steel. I gave er the beans a bit hard on the 3/16. Warped the 18g pretty good as well. Gonna need a lot more practice but I think I’m off to an ok start.
Once you get the basic settings in then it's just practice, and over time you will develop a technique that works for you as everyone is different. No different to learning to drive, lots of bunny hopping at first then it all just starts making sense and becomes second nature. Have fun.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven’t worked on the truck just been playing with the tig. Still having a lot of trouble with getting the thin stuff way too hot. Also need to get some new gloves I cannot seem to feed filler with my current ones. Here’s a pic of my first try on tubing.(1.5” .188) Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2481.jpeg
    IMG_2481.jpeg
    304 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2482.jpeg
    IMG_2482.jpeg
    320 KB · Views: 13

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven’t worked on the truck just been playing with the tig. Still having a lot of trouble with getting the thin stuff way too hot. Also need to get some new gloves I cannot seem to feed filler with my current ones. Here’s a pic of my first try on tubing.(1.5” .188) Any tips are greatly appreciated.
I use deer skin gloves, they are thinner so beware off picking up hot stuff as they really only keep the UV light off your skin. Do you have a pedal to control the amps, they are worth the cost to be able to increase/ decrease the amps as you are running a bead, especially when tapering off at the edge where heat builds up real fast and blows through the metal. There will be a lot of experimenting to get started but don't worry it will come to you. Start with less amps and build up to what you need to get the job done. When finished write all your settings down in a notebook, so if your change settings for a different material you can always go back easily.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use deer skin gloves, they are thinner so beware off picking up hot stuff as they really only keep the UV light off your skin. Do you have a pedal to control the amps, they are worth the cost to be able to increase/ decrease the amps as you are running a bead, especially when tapering off at the edge where heat builds up real fast and blows through the metal. There will be a lot of experimenting to get started but don't worry it will come to you. Start with less amps and build up to what you need to get the job done. When finished write all your settings down in a notebook, so if your change settings for a different material you can always go back easily.
Much appreciated, I have only used a pedal so far. There’s also a switch on the torch but I haven’t tried it yet.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The technique of the weld looks good, especially for just starting. If you’re getting it too hot, you’re carrying a little too much metal, try a little smaller filler rod. On the really thin stuff you have to let it cool down between beads. Keep practicing you’ll get it sooner than later.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Much appreciated, I have only used a pedal so far. There’s also a switch on the torch but I haven’t tried it yet.
The pedal is the way to go, if it's getting too hot then just back off the pedal until the puddle is just how you want it. I noticed in the picture you had quite a large v groove as well as setting a gap between pieces, that leaves quite a lot of material to fill in, try just using one method or the other. As long as the gas can get down there, the arc will penetrate to the base. If you do have a large groove to fill then try doing it in 2 runs rather than all at once.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not much of an update on the truck. Been absolutely swamped with school so haven’t been able to do much. Maybe it will be worth it in the end when I get a piece of paper saying I’m a mechanical engineer. Did play with the brake booster and steering rack now that they are wired into switched ignition. Power steering and brakes in a non running vehicle still seems pretty cool to me. Also picked up some glass cups for the tig torch. Have up to a #12 cup now which should be plenty big for anything I'm doing.