IRS in a gmt400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t have any pictures for yall today but I have made some more progress on getting stuff back together. I think I’m still on track to take it to OBS nationals this year but it would be far from done. I did crank it up for the first time in a year. She started right up without even a hiccup although my battery is a bit weak despite putting it on the trickle charger every other month or so.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don’t have any pictures for yall today but I have made some more progress on getting stuff back together. I think I’m still on track to take it to OBS nationals this year but it would be far from done. I did crank it up for the first time in a year. She started right up without even a hiccup although my battery is a bit weak despite putting it on the trickle charger every other month or so.
Hell yeah man. That is awesome to hear.

This is going to catch people’s attention at OBS Nats for sure.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I should do that I planned on pulling the bed again anyway to do the widebody on the rear fenders. Not sure how I’m gonna go about those rear fenders yet.
Collect as much cardboard sheet you can and just have fun mocking stuff up, you won't know what you want until you see it, so be creative then work backwards to realistic. just remember it's your truck so you can do whatever you want.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Collect as much cardboard sheet you can and just have fun mocking stuff up, you won't know what you want until you see it, so be creative then work backwards to realistic. just remember it's your truck so you can do whatever you want.
Don’t worry I always keep a collection of cardboard for this exact reason… I have some ideas brewing but I’m not sure how or if they will work yet. I’m thinking of implementing a duct just in front of the rear tire like the c6 vettes had. Could make it a false duct just for looks or could make a function brake cooling duct. I do know the fender will be about 2-3” wider per side. Just the smallest amount possible that looks proportional to the front.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking of implementing a duct just in front of the rear tire like the c6 vettes had. Could make it a false duct just for looks or could make a function brake cooling duct.

IMHO, a functional brake duct is just as cool as a functional cold air induction setup on a hood.

Even if it's not really needed 99% of the time. It's the afterburner on a fighter jet, it's not used
the vast majority of the time...but just knowing it's there if you need it simply flips my bits. Hard to
justify on pure necessity, but if you were at a car show and I thought that the brake ducts were
functional, I'd have to check it out.

But a fake hood scoop? All sizzle, no steak. Thanks but no thanks. :0)

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was looking at different cars with vents for inspiration I think I like this rear vent on the c5 z06. I would put it in the same spot same orientation but I would have to find a way to match the contour of the trucks lower panel below the step. Maybe a bit of heat and I could form it around the contour.
You must be registered for see images attach

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never was super happy with how my frame met back to the original right behind the front clip so I redid all that. It looks much cleaner now and is stronger. I also added a center jacking point under that front crossmember. It added some time to the build but was worth it IMO.
You must be registered for see images attach

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think that would be sick! Since you’re so good at fab work could you also do a center cut out roll pan, something similar to the c5 where the exhaust comes out? You wouldn’t have to run your exhaust out but it would look cool seeing glimpse of the rear end and would tie into the side vents

I was looking at different cars with vents for inspiration I think I like this rear vent on the c5 z06.