IRS in a gmt400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will have a lot of fun with that TIG welder once you get past the step learning curve, I taught myself to weld aluminium by watching videos on sites like "Welding tips and tricks" where they walk you through the most basic stuff like settings and then progress through to the tricky stuff. Nothing like watching someone else do it first. That front suspension looks so cool.
Thanks and I have been loading up on videos every chance I get recently just trying to pick up on do’s and donts. I ordered an everlast 185dv and they emailed me saying it’s on back order for 2-3 weeks. I need to get an argon bottle before I can start anyway so that gives me time. I bought it for stainless and thin steel but I’m sure I will find an excuse to play with aluminum as well.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are so versatile that you will start finding things to weld because it so satisfying. Even just using the arc to heat metal to bend etc it is so controllable. Pay a lot of attention to the tungsten types and sizes as that is the key to getting the arc right.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what are yall using for rust prevention/coating for internal side of body panels?

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be careful with grinding your tungsten tips, you can get very sick if you breath that stuff in!!!
You would be thinking about the Thoriated electrodes (red tips) that are used for DC welding steel, these contain Thorium which is mildly radioactive. I prefer to use the Ceriated electrodes (grey tips) for steel and I use the Zirconiated electrodes (white tip) for AC welding Aluminium. Neither of those are radioactive.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You would be thinking about the Thoriated electrodes (red tips) that are used for DC welding steel, these contain Thorium which is mildly radioactive. I prefer to use the Ceriated electrodes (grey tips) for steel and I use the Zirconiated electrodes (white tip) for AC welding Aluminium. Neither of those are radioactive.
Ya, I'm not sure exactly what's going on, I just know on the construction sites I've been on there is always a little grinder hut for tungsten grinding with a million signs on it to stay out!!!
Never actually asked a welder what's up with that, just know it ain't good and they are always in resperators.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya, I'm not sure exactly what's going on, I just know on the construction sites I've been on there is always a little grinder hut for tungsten grinding with a million signs on it to stay out!!!
Never actually asked a welder what's up with that, just know it ain't good and they are always in resperators.
Yeah, I think that grinding any hard material is going to produce extremely fine dust so in an area that is doing it regularly you would want to take precautions. I have seen some people put a water tray under the grinder wheel to catch the dust as it is thrown of the wheel so it doesn't blow around. Once you stop dipping the tip in the molten pool you very rarely have to regrind the tips. I like to grind up a 10 pack all at once and then I don't have to do it again until I have used them all, which isn't very often now.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At school today I had the opportunity to try out tig on a miller multimatic 220. Mind you I was the only one there that knew how to weld at all so I had zero instruction but I still had fun playing with it. Welds were garbage but I didn’t dip the tungsten once. The amount of control just isn’t even comparable to mig. I was running it on *uncleaned* mild steel so that definitely didn’t help.