IRS in a gmt400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't auto-x. One reason is I am not good at showing up fast. I need to build up confidence, which usually by then you know the tricky spots.

Sometimes a lift is the correct answer.

If autox is a weakness, then you should address that. I didn't get out this year but in years past I made it a point to get out because it's just another aspect of driving and they all matter. I got out plenty to the real tracks though.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If autox is a weakness, then you should address that. I didn't get out this year but in years past I made it a point to get out because it's just another aspect of driving and they all matter. I got out plenty to the real tracks though.

Actually, I think I'm going to autox my D100 next year. If they let me.

I also have problems visualizing the line in a sea of cones, but that's not for this thread.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Actually, I think I'm going to autox my D100 next year. If they let me.

I also have problems visualizing the line in a sea of cones, but that's not for this thread.

Autox in general I feel is very much in the spirit of this thread. What say ye OP?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's faster to not engage ABS. You want to be just on the threshold of it kicking in.
What about braking and turning? That outer front can do its thing with ABS active. Without you're sacrificing some braking power.
Threshold braking will stop shorter than ABS which will stop shorter than a lockup.
Older ABS systems, like on our trucks, can't pump individual brakes and don't react quickly. BMW's ABS is good because they react quickly. Unless the track is glass smooth you can't threshold brake as well as the system can manage lockup. The ABS is actually faster. Throw in good ESC systems that use the brakes to aid cornering, and you're at a competitive disadvantage turning the aids off. But you'll likely only find systems that good on sports cars.

You mean trail braking? 80% of your braking should already be done at the point, and you should be coming off the brakes.
Trail braking makes a late apex and you should only be using it on entry to a corner that has a short or no straightaway afterwards. If you have a long straight after the corner, you want to brake early enough to get back on full throttle as soon as possible.

ESC makes trail braking less risky, but you still need to mind the circle of traction. I went off at High Plains Raceway, but kept the wheels straight because I recognized there was no way I was going to get the car turned.

Sometimes a lift is the correct answer.
Only when you're in trouble. Ideally, you want to be maxing out either the gas or the brake all the time. If you're on the brake, you should always be right at the threshold. If you're on the gas, you should be on the gas to the max of your traction. Otherwise you're just Sunday driving.

Yeah, I don't auto-x. One reason is I am not good at showing up fast. I need to build up confidence, which usually by then you know the tricky spots.
If autox is a weakness, then you should address that.
I struggle with this, too. Usually about the fourth run I get it figured out and get fast. The more I autocross, the better I get at it, but right now I think I've autocrossed twice in the last three years. I agree with tackling that weakness. Currently I'm trying to make mentally marking braking markers routine. That's how I blew that corner at HPR.

New course designers err on the side of too many cones. When I autocrossed here locally they were pretty good about using a minimal amount of cones and adding chalk lines. It makes it pretty intuitive. Always walk the course at least twice. This also helps with getting fast quicker.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Throw in good ESC systems that use the brakes to aid cornering, and you're at a competitive disadvantage turning the aids off.
If I am able to retain DSC function on my ABS module, it does use individual brakes to aid cornering. Although programming it to work properly with this truck could end up being a nightmare, we will see…

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Older ABS systems, like on our trucks, can't pump individual brakes and don't react quickly. BMW's ABS is good because they react quickly. Unless the track is glass smooth you can't threshold brake as well as the system can manage lockup. The ABS is actually faster. Throw in good ESC systems that use the brakes to aid cornering, and you're at a competitive disadvantage turning the aids off. But you'll likely only find systems that good on sports cars.

It just takes practice. Tire compound is a big factor, if you're on street rubber it's harder to do.

Every school and instructor I ever had, none of them said just mash to the floor and rely on ABS. Dry track, it's faster to threshold. Wet track, ABS will save your butt at some point.

Trail braking makes a late apex and you should only be using it on entry to a corner that has a short or no straightaway afterwards. If you have a long straight after the corner, you want to brake early enough to get back on full throttle as soon as possible.

I don't agree that you can only late apex. I trail brake every style of apex. I'm definitely not perfect at it, but it makes a big difference.

In sim racing you won't be competitive at all if you aren't trail braking every corner. Even corners that don't technically require braking, a little brake to get the front end to bite more helps keep a tighter line and more speed.

ESC makes trail braking less risky, but you still need to mind the circle of traction. I went off at High Plains Raceway, but kept the wheels straight because I recognized there was no way I was going to get the car turned.

ESC saved me from going off yesterday at COTA. Got too cheap on replacing brake pads and they were cooked about 6 laps into the stint. But it also kind of played a role in getting me into that situation in the first place because Chevy really doesn't want you to do a lot of braking and turning at the same time. I should have not even attempted the turn because there was a big asphalt run off area.

Only when you're in trouble. Ideally, you want to be maxing out either the gas or the brake all the time. If you're on the brake, you should always be right at the threshold. If you're on the gas, you should be on the gas to the max of your traction. Otherwise you're just Sunday driving.

I didn't mean go to 0% throttle. I mean going to a maintenance throttle position for a fraction of a second to get the car neutral balanced. Every track has some kind of bump, dip, or something that it just makes more sense to alter what you would want to do if it wasn't there.