IRS in a gmt400

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
EVH's truck sat beside his home studio/converted garage for years. Tires flat, paint cracked & faded, covered in leaves from the trees it was parked under. It was in pretty sad shape.
Just after Boyd's passing, it was restored by the same crew that built it. Boyd's kid's wheel co. made up a new set of larger wheels in the same design as the originals.
Shortly after, it went across the block at Barrett/Jackson & sold for less than the cost of the second resto. EVH was still alive at that time. Like his guitars, with his passing, it's probably worth considerably more now.
The give-away truck used to be spotted fairly often in the mid-west, but it hasn't been seen for a few years now. 10 years? Maybe more. The last pix I saw of that truck, it looked like it had been used as a truck, daily, since it was built.
Apparently, it's changed hands a couple of times since it was given away.

There was a member here a few years ago that slid a C4 IRS under his 4/6 dropped ExCabSB. Took him a couple of weekends. According to him, it wasn't all that hard to do (obviously, he had skills) & with the experience of the first swap, claimed that it could be done over a weekend. In Friday afternoon, done by Sunday night.
Yea, the C4 IRS is heavier. But as these trucks are weight-biased towards the front anyways, the additional in the rear actually made that bias more favorable when it came to corner-carving.

That newer style looks considerably heavier than the C4.
Wow, thanks for the back story, sewlow! Sad to hear about EVH's truck, but I'm not surprised. I wonder if the original owner of the give-away truck still has it, or if he died and now it's sitting somewhere...

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I could be motivated enough to screw-up the rear end of a truck, it'd get the '60-style Chevy/GMC Truck Arm/Coils, potentially with air bags supplementing the coils.

Works for NAPCAR, works for me.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I could be motivated enough to screw-up the rear end of a truck, it'd get the '60-style Chevy/GMC Truck Arm/Coils, potentially with air bags supplementing the coils.

NASCAR has IRS (transaxle) now.

351FUN

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This isn't a bad idea, my 69 C10 drives amazing for it's age.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to keep y’all updated, I still plan on doing the swap. Ive been saving up and getting parts ready.
You must be registered for see images attach

I just got these 2013 camaro ss brakes for the truck, I also plan on making custom front knuckles and using camaro hubs.