Intermittent No Crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NETFREEE

Reaction score
I have 98 GMC C2500 5.7 A/T. 233K.
Mods/Recent repairs
1.Install New Rockies VATS by-pass for starts/dies condition- No problems since installed April 2019.
2. Evap,compressor,condensor replace July 2018

I have an intermittent No Crank Condition.
Details: After Dash removed to replace Evap, started having a problem that when key turned into crank/starter engage position, no crank no noise- keep trying then will eventually crank and start- may go days before it occurs again. I thought that there might be a loose connection from dash removal. Checked everything visually. When it does happen I can wiggle the connector where the ignition switch harness plugs in at the bottom of the dash and would start. So I thought it might be the ignition switch. But before replacing the ignition switch, I ran a push button start switch and connected it past that connection. But it still has the same problem.
The only other thing I can think of is the Starter/solenoid. Have never had one act like this before. Has anyone had a similar problem? I am not one for throwing parts at a problem before verifying, but after 50 yrs of playing with GM cars and trucks, I sometimes look past the obvious causes.

Hobie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From my experience it sounds like a starter solenoid, so more than likely a new starter will be in your future. Unfortunately it sounds like total coincidence

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I think that all our trucks are talking to each other and figuring out how to frustrate us! My Burb has been having starter issues today and it's not even hot in Houston right now. Just very humid! Starter is 4 years old, but it's a daily driver so it's been used a lot. I'm going to check it out tomorrow and also look at the coil. Will be back later with updates....thanks

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
On mine, it ended up being a combination of a bad battery cable and the small terminal on the starter solenoid being a little bit loose. Tightened it up, replaced the cable, cleaned and tightened the other connections....and knock on wood, no more problems.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On mine, it ended up being a combination of a bad battery cable and the small terminal on the starter solenoid being a little bit loose. Tightened it up, replaced the cable, cleaned and tightened the other connections....and knock on wood, no more problems.
It's insane-I had the starting problem 2 weeks ago. They really talk to each other lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake rogers