Intermittent No Crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I was having a occasional hot no start. After I cleaned all the grounds under the hood and the starter mounting to the block I've never had that issue again.

Ken

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
...or battery cable issues are just that common. Cut those cable ends and go top-post. You won't regret it.

I actually like the concept of the sidepost, I just wish it was a bit more durable. I use the battery like a little table. Sometimes it wrenches, fasteners, VOM, or just my coffee.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I was having a occasional hot no start. After I cleaned all the grounds under the hood and the starter mounting to the block I've never had that issue again.

Ken

Good cheap fix. My issue was the starter going out, or more specifically the contacts in the solenoid. When I took it apart they were very obviously melted/damaged.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have zero issues with side-posts. The only ones I've ever had problems with were due to faulty sealing between the lead contact and the plastic case. Perpetual corrosion. All the rest worked out good.

I don't want to get in the habit of using the battery as a shelf...'cause I'm scared I'll do that with a top-post and make big sparks.

A couple of my vehicles put the plastic windshield-washer reservoir over the battery. No way to use a top-post battery on them, at least with the reservoir in place.