Intermittent Fuel Pump issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon, drove to the store. Shut truck off. Came out and fired for a second then died. (Residual fuel?) Would crank and crank but would not even spit. You could not hear the fuel pump working.

This morning, I turn the key forward and instantly hear that familiar buzz. Fired up. I drove it until it got hot, came home and parked. It fired up 5-6 times in a row. Let it sit for 45 mins, and I came out to fire it up. No buzzing.. Turn key back and forth a few times and I hear more of a "growl" .. Will experiment a few more times here but I must admit the pump is my foremost thought.

Any advice, suggestions..

Oh, I can't test pressure at the moment, but key forward and I depress shrader valve with a screwdriver.. at first I had some fuel come out, now I've got nothing..
:shrug:

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
It was the wiring harness inside the tank. It had completely melted one corner off and made it impossible to make a good connection.
Replaced the harness for $20, and I already had the pump and strainer for $90.. So I threw those in there.
Gaurantee it was the harness. (Excellent, now have a spare fuel pump for on the road....)