Interior dome lights come on by themselves in cold temperatures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi Folks, this one is driving me nuts. For reasons I have yet to figure out, my 98 turns the interior lights on when it cold soaks and runs the battery dead overnight. This is not me leaving a dome light on. Shut the truck down, lock it and wait for 30 seconds and make sure all the interior lights go out. Get up in the morning and interior lights are on and the battery is effectively dead. What could possibly be calling for the interior lights that would be temperature driven (resistance change or contactor/relay closing) ? For now, I am managing the issue by using the interior light lockout switch. Thanks for any suggestions. Mark

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would be suspicious of the door jamb plunger switches. Maybe thermal expansion/contraction is causing one of the switches to break contact?

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good suggestion, I have recently replaced both of the front ones but maybe they are behaving poorly and I haven't even considered the rear ones - thanks
Mark

99Wildcat

Reaction score
I had a similar problem after I installed tow mirrors with cargo lights in them. I supplied a ground to the dome light circuit without realizing it. I grounded the cargo lights to the kick panels. Once the dome light module removed the ground to shut the interior lights off, my cargo light ground provided a path for current but only enough to keep the interior lights on real dim. I assume you have a ground being supplied to the circuit where it shouldn’t be. I wrote up a post to describe the system once I figured out what I did. I’ll see if I can find it and post a link.

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the input - however my dome lights come on at full intensity so I suspect it is a switch/relay vs a leak to ground. Cheers. Regardless, off to read the link you provided! :)

Reaction score
You used to be able to buy a color matched plastic shim for the door jamb switches. I had the same problem on my 96

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, if you replace your bulbs with LEDs, there's less chance they'll drain your battery before you discover the lights on. I bought a box of a dozen bulbs cheap on Amazon.

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You used to be able to buy a color matched plastic shim for the door jamb switches. I had the same problem on my 96

Thanks for this but I am not sure I am following you, though. Are you referring to a thin wear pad stuck to the door that would hold/push the plunger a little farther in ? If so, that is genius! :)