Installing 4WD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SK Productions

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it's probably going to cost more than what the truck's worth, but I have a truck in really nice shape and I'd like it to have 4WD. A buddy told me I didn't need to touch my transmission, which I thought I did. I have the standard 4L60E Transmission. I wanted to ask how hard it would be, pricing for the parts, and the best prices? I'd be willing to rebuild a transfer case myself. (I need to learn anyway)

Wanting to know this so I can start pinching my pennies for next spring.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not sure on the specifics, but the frames have major differences. I've seen this brought up a few times over the years and the general answer is always that it would be easier/cheaper to just buy a different truck. The 2WD and 4WD 4L60Es have different output shafts as well, maybe some other stuff.

EDIT - You could look into a solid axle swap, pretty sure I've seen people do that to C1500s. That would involve quite a bit of fabrication and a large increase in ride height though.

Last edited:

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
You could make it work, my dad just swapped in a second gen Dodge solid axle with coil springs on a 2WD dually. Took a long time to complete, but rides just as good as the factory IFS, not as stiff as a leaf spring solid axle. With the solid axle, your truck will be lifted about 4 inches.

But, I have to agree with @df2x4, it's just easier to buy a truck with that stuff already on it. You could buy a 4WD parts truck, take your truck's body/box/front end off of the 2WD frame, then place it on the 4WD frame. I think that would be the easiest way to go about doing this.

SK Productions

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
JEEZ I don't want to do that lol. I just don't want to buy another truck, when I have one in darn near perfect condition. I can live without 4WD, but I'd like to get a small lift on it with some bigger tires and a bedcover, but it's weird having it like that when it's only 2wd

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Lol, yeah it's a bit of work swapping from 2WD to 4WD. There is a thread on lifted 2WDs on this forum somewhere, they might be able to give you some advice and tips with installing a lift kit on a 2WD.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, not really worth it. If you do, just get rolled a 4x4 doner. Might be easier to just swap frames and engine, although I have never seen that personally.

Do you have the G80 locker at the rear? I have that on my 2WD Silverado 99 NBS, and has worked really well for me. I've got a steep grade at the rear of my alley and when I drive in on an angle one of the rear tire loses traction. Sometimes the G80 kicks in an I get more traction, mostly when wet. Sort of like this:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It's no 4x4, but better than a 2wd open diff.