Install New fuel pump & Filter, Doesn't like to start.....Sometimes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HorneDawgZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck started perfectly for the 180k Miles the original fuel pump lasted. I put this new fuel pump and filter on and now maybe 1 out of 5 starts it has to try over and over like its not getting gas and then, boom all the sudden it starts. Im going to change my fuel filter again just in case it knocked crap into the tank and now its in my filter. Is this just signs of a ty fuel pump or is something else going wrong? I did a fuel tune up on my truck about 50k miles ago so sparks and wires and all that should be fine.

Thanks for the help everyone

HorneDawgZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
and sometimes it fires right up and then instantly turns off and then its a ***** to start again, stopping on the gas peddle usually helps

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Almost sounds like a dirty Throttle body and Idle Air Control motor. Try cleaning them and see what happens

HorneDawgZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well tuneup was like 50k miles ago and I bought some high dollar sh** for that tuneup so im not leaning toward plugs or anything, I have a k&n filter that I cleaned and oiled like a month ago, my throttle cable was sticking a while back and I sprayed it with so dry lube. I will check out yalls suggestions, and replace my filter again and see what happens. Think of anything else please let me know thanks for helping

HorneDawgZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
lol Thank you That was a pretty dumb question from me. I just cleaned it pretty darn good and started it 3 times, seems to start better but it will take a day or 2 to find out for sure.