Inside Door Latch '95 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

homesick

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey y'all, is there a common problem with the door latch on these trucks? A particular thing or two to check first?
The inner latch on the driver's door, over a week or so, got gradually worse. I had to pull it a little bit further/harder each time to open the door. It won't open the door at all now, but I never heard or felt anything snap or give. I quit pulling on it before anything like that happened. I'm hoping it's just an adjustment issue.

What do y'all think?

Thanks,
joe

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey y'all, is there a common problem with the door latch on these trucks? A particular thing or two to check first?
The inner latch on the driver's door, over a week or so, got gradually worse. I had to pull it a little bit further/harder each time to open the door. It won't open the door at all now, but I never heard or felt anything snap or give. I quit pulling on it before anything like that happened. I'm hoping it's just an adjustment issue.

What do y'all think?

Thanks,
joe
With the updated interior, the door is harder to open than I remember in my old 91. I had the same issue when I first got my 97. Pulled the door panel off and got in there and adjusted the rods 3 years ago, it's been sitting fine ever since. 3 years

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
That handle is about to snap. Like, any day now. Mine did the exact same thing. $26 at autozone, a couple rivets, and you have a new handle. Very easy job. It'll open like butter.

*This is assuming you're inner door handle is what you're referring to as the latch. If not, I completely misunderstood your post and disregard what I said*

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ This, for sure. I had an interior handle fail in a very similar way. The arms crack just out of view inside the panel and it gradually opens up until they don't work.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
^ This, for sure. I had an interior handle fail in a very similar way. The arms crack just out of view inside the panel and it gradually opens up until they don't work.
The first time it just snapped, the second time I wasn't able to open the door for a week or so and then it snapped. First was original, second I got from the junkyard and literally replaced just the handle. So much harder than messing with rivets lol.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score

What do y'all think?

Thanks,
joe
Yep, sounds like your interior door handle has failed. It's a common issue on these GMT400's. The metal handles begin to stretch until they either break or become close to inoperable anymore.

To replace the inner door handle, remove the doorcard, then drill out the one rivet holding the door handle in place, slide the handle out of its pocket, disconnect the door rods from the inner door handle, and reverse install for re-assembly. Pretty straight forward stuff. Takes less than 5 minutes to replace.

Just a heads up, you will need rivets to re-install the handle. I used these and they worked great: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Arrow-3-16-in-Medium-Aluminum-Rivets-50-Pack-RMA3-16IP/100211151

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Definitely a super common issue. Like others have said, replace the handle and it'll be good as new. :waytogo:

homesick

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That handle is about to snap. Like, any day now. Mine did the exact same thing. $26 at autozone, a couple rivets, and you have a new handle. Very easy job. It'll open like butter.

*This is assuming you're inner door handle is what you're referring to as the latch. If not, I completely misunderstood your post and disregard what I said*

No, you're right. I realized, after I posted, that I said 'latch' when I should've said 'handle'.

LOL The handle is not actuating the latch. Better?

Thanks to all y'all. Clean, simple input from guys who've been there. Exactly what I was after.

joe

dmhscorpion

Reaction score
Yep, sounds like your interior door handle has failed. It's a common issue on these GMT400's. The metal handles begin to stretch until they either break or become close to inoperable anymore.

To replace the inner door handle, remove the doorcard, then drill out the one rivet holding the door handle in place, slide the handle out of its pocket, disconnect the door rods from the inner door handle, and reverse install for re-assembly. Pretty straight forward stuff. Takes less than 5 minutes to replace.

Just a heads up, you will need rivets to re-install the handle. I used these and they worked great: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Arrow-3-16-in-Medium-Aluminum-Rivets-50-Pack-RMA3-16IP/100211151
I used a bolt on my replacement one. It worked well.

95TXSilverado

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck had both interior handles broken off when I bought the truck. Very common defect on these trucks. Easy to fix, there are several YouTube videos out there showing how to replace them. I did mine about 3 years ago and haven't had a problem since, but I am also gentle on pulling on the handles now knowing about the defects.