Increase low end torque?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A tuner is definitely on the list to do, because of tranny shift points and spedomoter and obviously increase engine performance.

I'm iffy about the throttle blade. I've heard such mixed reviews about it. Same thing with swapping for a 4l80e. They're more durable so I am told but I don't think it will give me what I want. So that's kind of out of the question. And this is definitely not a tow rig. Lol

I really want to regear but it'll take a bit before I can afford it.
So let me get this right, 32/33 on 4.10s will make my city mileage worse but hwy mileage better than the 3.73s?

I'm doing the mpfi injectors as well as intake and head gaskets soon. I can't wait to clean it out. I wish I had some money to get the 1.6 rocker arms.
Larger gears will be more efficient in stop and go driving. Truck won't have to work so hard to get going. You'll be spinning higher rpms at hwy speeds, but probably not enough more to hurt efficiency. Unless maybe you drive 90 mph on the hwy. Going from 3.73 to 4.10 isn't exactly the largest gear swap. But it'll definitely make you enjoy driving it more.

Cheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Larger gears will be more efficient in stop and go driving. Truck won't have to work so hard to get going. You'll be spinning higher rpms at hwy speeds, but probably not enough more to hurt efficiency. Unless maybe you drive 90 mph on the hwy. Going from 3.73 to 4.10 isn't exactly the largest gear swap. But it'll definitely make you enjoy driving it more.

Yeah and the most I would do on the hwy is around 70mph. We use kilometers so the max we do is 110 kmph.
It just sucks that regearing here is so expensive.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I saw you mentioned true duals for exhaust. An inexpensive way to get much of your torque back is an X or H pipe. I highly recommend an X. If you're looking for low RPM, it makes a huge difference. Modern V8 vehicles have some kind of balance pipe from the factory for a reason. :waytogo:

Cheyenne

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw you mentioned true duals for exhaust. An inexpensive way to get much of your torque back is an X or H pipe. I highly recommend an X. If you're looking for low RPM, it makes a huge difference. Modern V8 vehicles have some kind of balance pipe from the factory for a reason. :waytogo:

Cool thanks! Why do you say the X or over the H?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Cool thanks! Why do you say the X or over the H?

As RPM increases, it becomes harder for the exhaust gases to change direction in an h pipe. I would disagree on the significance based on an episode of Engine Masters, but I also wouldn't not do it. Plus X pipe sounds way cooler.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
True regarding the direction change. I'd recommend X pipe or single exhaust on a stock Vortec mostly because of application. There's only 196° of duration on the cam and with a stock converter. The scavenging will help you get some of that grunt back.

Exhaust pipe size can also play a role...But I'm assuming you're running less than 2.5" diameter pipes.

Minus all the science stuff, if it was me, I'd put an X pipe on. Took me a few years to figure out...Hey, race car stuff isn't optimal for everything. Especially a daily that you have some concern for economy or particular function. I'm not saying it'll be a tire-fryer all of the sudden, or you'll be able to yank a 12,000 pound trailer without noticing...But for the cost, it'll give you some of that torque you're looking for and who knows, maybe a half mile to the gallon while you're at it!