In need of friendly advice (HELP!!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, i blew my trans (1993 scsb c1500) about 2 months ago. It was rebuild and upgraded by a local shop. Its a 4l60e with a 5.0. Today while driving (just me, some groceries and a full tank of gas) with normal acceleration (im a teenager with a v8, it wasnt tire smoking but it isnt grandma driving, my transmission started acting up. The guy who rebuilt it believes (and i trust him) that the transmission is in limp mode. Its got all the signs of limp mode. I think thats controlled by the computer behind the glove box. But what do i do? Put a new chip in (its stock-just headers) a new computer module? Both? Is there a way to check? I dont recall what codes it was spitting up, and my lights on for o2 sensors. Any suggestions? I bought the truck as is- its always slamed into gear (high pump pressure- does it from park to drive or n to drive, etc), always had the headers, always had an o2 code- about 70k miles. Any and all help is appreciated- thanks guys.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I would start by checking the connectors on the transmission. The may be loose or wet. Pop them off, carefully pick any crud out and apply some dielectric grease and plug it back in. Then disconnect the battery over night and try it the next morning.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Ok, ok, ok. Before you do anything, you had this thing rebuilt 2 months ago, and now it's acting bad?

Take it back to the shop that rebuilt it. You should not be the one sweating over this thing.

Just my 2 cents, good luck.

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, ok, ok. Before you do anything, you had this thing rebuilt 2 months ago, and now it's acting bad?

Take it back to the shop that rebuilt it. You should not be the one sweating over this thing.

Just my 2 cents, good luck.

I brought it back, guy said it was a compuer issue not related to the rebuild. so they wont handle it :(. but they will help me diagnose it, but its a 20 min drive from my home just to have them tell me to go the other way to a junkyard to get a part or some other b.s.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has the trans shop actually laid hands on the truck, run a code reader and confirmed that the trans is in limp in? Or just listened to your description and said it isn't their problem?

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
What exactly is it doing? My truck has a 4l80e but a week or two ago it wouldn't shift out of first.. I was on my way to work one morning and I was just cruising along and the RPMs shot up like it had gone into neutral. I pulled off the side of the road to discover reverse and first working fine. So I continued on my commute, and noticed it was just staying in first and my speedometer had stopped working. After throwing a couple parts at it and visual inspection, I couldn't find the problem. A couple days later after some research I found that my brake fuse had blown. Replaced the fuse and now all is well. It seems at though some of the Trans controls get power from the brake circuit and with that fuse blown it was left in limp.

Sent from the big block!

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bow- i suggest looking into the transmission problem post- i remeber seeing symptoms like that. And yes they threw a scanner on the truck and i took the guy for a test drive- i dont remeber the code it shot up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
Bow- i suggest looking into the transmission problem post- i remeber seeing symptoms like that. And yes they threw a scanner on the truck and i took the guy for a test drive- i dont remeber the code it shot up

Right... Well I solved my problem by replacing the fuse..... That's what I'm suggesting YOU might check. If it works similar to mine it might be an easy fix for you, and it's free to check and would take like ten seconds to look at. :cheers:

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I checked first thing. Then i checked my fluids. All good. I just pulled the computer behind the glovebox-wish there was a way to check if its bad

bow61509

GMT400 Thug Life!!
Reaction score
I checked first thing. Then i checked my fluids. All good. I just pulled the computer behind the glovebox-wish there was a way to check if its bad

Yeah I looked at mine, but like you said you can't see if it's good or bad. Also I didn't see anywhere you could buy a replacement aside from the junkyard.

Sent from the big block!