I'm out of ideas, guys. (Truck runs like crap no matter what I do).

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Small update, I had an idea today. The tachometer gets a signal from the ignition coil, correct? Okay well when the truck bogs down and almost shuts off, I just noticed the tach stays at the same reading. So correct me if I'm wrong, but that means the coil is still firing at the appropriate speed, so the problem has to be either fuel, the plugs, or the tranny. Gonna start checking stuff here in a bit.

As for the YOLO thing, I was kidding Haha. I think its stupid as well.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
BIG update. Got the truck running GREAT today by taking the throttle body off and cleaning the **** out of it! No more hesitations at idle or off of red lights.

A little background: Before i had the "problem" in question, I had ripped apart the injector pod to replace some seals and install my injector spacer (at this point the throttle body itself was not touched). When I adjusted my FPR is when things started going haywire. After a few days, I had put my new diaphragm and spring in the FPR, but HERE was where my mistake was made. I didn't know it at the time, but the new spring had LESS tension than the old spring. And not thinking, i thought the engine was FLOODING, so i backed off the pressure ALL the way down.

BAD.

Today I upped the FPR to a little more than stock, and cleaned the HELL out of the throttle body. You guys would NOT believe the amount of buildup that was in the vacuum passages and around the top of the TBI. Used some serious cleaner and got all that crap out of there. Curiously, the most buildup was inside the pressure release port going to the pass. side valve cover. I had to use a flathead screwdriver to get all the gunk out, that's how bad it was caked in there. I wouldn't be surprised if it was completely closed.

TRUCK. RUNS. AMAZING.

But it still dies at WOT. NOW I know for a fact it is the TCC solenoid going haywire. Why? Because the reason I didn't think of it in the first place, was because the engine would cut out, then EASE back into throttle. Now with everything on the fuel/air/spark side working good, the truck cuts out for a split-second, then as if someone hit a switch, it FLIES. My theory is that the TCC solenoid is worn to where it sticks a little when it's supposed to unlock.

Going to replace it tomorrow along with new trans fluid and filter, and report back.