ignition switch replacement '88 chevy c1500 5.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bode winham

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to replace my ignition switch on my truck. I just replaced the starter and occasionally when i try and start the truck and turn the key, I hear the click but theres no effort to crank. After a few tries itll start right up, but earlier this morning the engine cut out after starting it and putting it in gear. Ive been hard pressed to find specific instructions as to how to replace the ignition switch on an 88 chevy c1500 5.7 l (silverado). any help would be greatly appreciated.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like what's wrong is the electrical portion of the switch, which is down low on the column near the firewall. No disassembly of the column needed. I would however recommend that you tape the actuator rod to the column tube before removing the switch, as it can suck to get it back into place otherwise.

It could also be that there's slop in the mechanism or the switch is out of adjustment; if anybody has messed with it in the past.. if you have a tilt column and the tilt joint is loose, this can cause problems as well. It can be tightened and you should do so ASAP before it gets worse. There's quite a few youtube vids on that.

Richard