Ignition control module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redsupersport

Reaction score
My 96 truck with a 305 keeps getting code p1351. I have replaced the ICM with a ac delco part and it died in 2 days. I replaced it with another ac delco part and that one lasted 10 days. So today I replaced it with a duralast ICM. I hope this one lasts, has anyone had this problem ? Is this bad parts of is my truck killing Ignition control modules ? Could this be a PCM or wire problem ?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would get a new ignition coil too, a bad one can take out the ICM too. You can test the coil to find out if it is bad but, it can't tell you it's good.
I did this test on a coil. According to this test, it was good. But, IDK if this actually is valid.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 96 truck with a 305 keeps getting code p1351. I have replaced the ICM with a ac delco part and it died in 2 days. I replaced it with another ac delco part and that one lasted 10 days. So today I replaced it with a duralast ICM. I hope this one lasts, has anyone had this problem ? Is this bad parts of is my truck killing Ignition control modules ? Could this be a PCM or wire problem ?
you didn't use the little 99 cent Ketchup squeeze packet they gave you did ya? on the duralast under the ICM. Is the coil stock? or 50K ?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did this test on a coil. According to this test, it was good. But, IDK if this actually is valid.
Not really, if the coil's windings have an internal fault, or bad insulation, a DVM won't tell you. You have to hit it with a MegOhmMeter so you're looking at high voltage and amperage to find weak windings. We used one to "Megger" all of our motors above 20HP. With a history of the resistance we can see when one is going out so, we can replace it during downtime hours, without losing production.

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not likely PCM is the cause My opinion. But yes a short at terminals, ground etc can cause it. IDK a 96, but any wires to coil etc touching under air cleaner? 95 coil is mounted under the cleaner is all for a thought. Start it at night COMPLETE darkness look for sparks, crossfire etc while reving it up a bit? With air cleaner removed to see better.