IAC ECM Inputs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikesundrop

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got sort of a nitpicky issue/question that's as much for my own knowledge as anything. I've searched around and I haven't found what I'm looking for.

Does anyone know how the ECM logic works to control the IAC on a TBI? Which inputs does it use and what all does the ECM do?

Here's how I assume it works:
1. ECM reads coolant temp and picks an appropriate target RPM.
2. ECM sends a signal to the IAC to move the pintle and increase airflow, while it also increases injector duration, raising RPM. Closed loop using the tach signal (RPM.)
3. As the engine warms up, the IAC closes down and injector duration is decreased.
4. All changes are based on temp/RPM curves that define air and fuel flowrate in response to coolant temp and A/C on/off signal.

Does anyone know whether I'm completely off base here? Here's why I want to know. I just swapped in a TBI 350 in my 94 K1500 (previosly 4.3.) I swapped in the complete engine, all sensors, and ECM from a good running truck. It runs like a top in general. When started cold it idles up to about 1600 RPM for a minute or two, then drops to about 1100 RPM. It stays there until the truck gets all the way to 180 degrees coolant temp before settling in at 600 RPM. It's so smooth you could forget it is running.

The problem is that when I rev the engine at all, it comes down very slowly. From an idle, rev it up to about 2500 RPM, let off it goes through the same progression as cold start - 1600 RPM for a few seconds, 1100 for close to a minute, then settles back down. It makes the truck refuse to slow down at the bottom of the rev range. I have to slip the clutch because it doesn't want to drive below 1600 RPM. Poking around in a parking lot is kind of a pain. Like I said, nitpicky.

I'm confident that it's mechanically sound and that the high idle is what the ECM is intending to do since I just went through everything during the swap. I've swapped the IAC with a known good one with no change. I've also waited until the truck warmed up and unplugged the IAC. It runs a TON better like that, doing exactly what I tell it right off the 600 RPM idle. If I wasn't afraid that the ECM assumes the IAC is working and increases fuel flow, I'd probably put a switch in line and flip it when the truck warms up.

From what I know, I don't see any reason why revving the truck would change the IAC setting. Unless maybe it uses the MAP sensor and TPS somehow in its calculations? Any ideas? Thanks and sorry about the long post.

Reaction score
With the help of the member Skyd, I have finally nailed down what is causing my high idle.

His issue was a faulty ECM causing idle issues, instead of replacing my ECM I tracked down some friends who had a couple used ones stashed away for me to try.

Very long story short IAC logic is drastically different on a AT bin versus a MT bin PROMs

There is enough info out there that MT trucks will hang RPM +200 rpm higher while in motion, but I didn't think this carried over into the cold startup and sitting idle speed.

My 6299 ECM with PROM ALWH would run at 1200rpm and take forever (10 + min)to settle down to 800 rpm.

Plugged in a 7747 ECM with ASDK PROM (automatic RPOM) and the vehicle started with a higher idle but immediately began idling down to 650 RPM. If you touch the gas it would return down quickly again. The manual trans PROM would rev and hang like crazy.

Now I need to figure out if I can get a chip burned that will behave like the auto chip, but without having all the auto sensors available. I hope this info helps some maniac like me who won't accept a truck sounding like it has a carb with a stuck choke. I get they want it easier to drive/harder to stall. But no other manual trans vehicle I have, or have had in the past behaves like this.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score