I want your opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will be swapping a 5.3 into a 93 Chevy C1500. I want your opinions on what else I should do for reliability or power without sacrificing mpg. I don't want to do anything other than routine maintenance for 100K+ miles. Here is what I have so far, 5.3 long block with less than 10K miles sitting since 2000, 2000 donor 4.8 for all accessories, harness ect., comp 212/218 .522/.529 cam, Schoenfeld swap headers, flywheel, dirty dingo adjustable mounts, walbro 255 and LS1 Camaro oil pan kit.

I will do a full reseal and inspection of the 5.3 using fel pro gaskets and seals as well as a new water pump and thermostat. I will also install new valve springs, most likely LS6's. I also have a late 90's electric fan from a Mustang. I may get a set from a Ford Winstar (I used them on a previous project and they worked well). I'm seriously considering doing a 411 swap and using the ECM to control the fans.

Is a trunion upgrade necessary? If so I would rather just do aftermarket rockers but which ones? What valve springs at that point? With my mild cam do I need hardened push rods? I need a cold air kit but I can't seem to find the reasonably priced H2 Hummer kit that was on ebay.

Once again, what would you do?

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
How many miles are on the 4.8? The 4.8 flat tops will bump up the compression and be a direct replacement for the 5.3 pistons.

Sent from my Vortec powered HTC One M8

Rusty Nail

Artificial membership inflator
Reaction score
Hardened pushrods are only necessary if you're using guide plates... Planning for a lot of sustained high RPM running or forced induction?

Last edited:

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How many miles are on the 4.8? The 4.8 flat tops will bump up the compression and be a direct replacement for the 5.3 pistons.

Sent from my Vortec powered HTC One M8
The 4.8 long block will get swapped into a craigslist special and sold off.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Definitely change the oil pressure sensor. I hate changing them. Big hands suck for that job.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I would stick with Delco. We always use standard since it's what we stock at work but on a personal vehicle I would do Delco.

Since you are running headers, manifold cracking isn't an issue. Iirc they use header bolts vs studs like some. Definitely use quality bolts and gaskets.

You already mentioned water pump which is smart. I've never seen one with oil pump issues, but it might be something to consider.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hello, I would absolutely change the push rods outs, anything over stock spring pressure and can kill them and it's cheap insurance, I run comp 7.4's on my LS builds, as for springs for that size of a cam I would run some aftermarket beehive springs, I run comp double springs personally but you just don't need with that size cam. I would not do aftermarket rockers on an LS motor, if you search there are so many horror stories of aftermarket rockers breaking, I have ran stock rockers on a cam with 581 lift intake and exhaust with no problem, but I have now gone bigger and I did the comp. trunnion upgrade.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would stick with Delco. We always use standard since it's what we stock at work but on a personal vehicle I would do Delco.

Since you are running headers, manifold cracking isn't an issue. Iirc they use header bolts vs studs like some. Definitely use quality bolts and gaskets.

You already mentioned water pump which is smart. I've never seen one with oil pump issues, but it might be something to consider.

I will most likely go with the stage 8 locking header bolts. I always use a new oil pump when I build an engine but this is a little different in that it is a low mile reseal and inspect. If it is recommended to replace the pump due to issues or a reliability upgrade then I will be more than happy to replace it.

Hello, I would absolutely change the push rods outs, anything over stock spring pressure and can kill them and it's cheap insurance, I run comp 7.4's on my LS builds, as for springs for that size of a cam I would run some aftermarket beehive springs, I run comp double springs personally but you just don't need with that size cam. I would not do aftermarket rockers on an LS motor, if you search there are so many horror stories of aftermarket rockers breaking, I have ran stock rockers on a cam with 581 lift intake and exhaust with no problem, but I have now gone bigger and I did the comp. trunnion upgrade.
I had seen something about issues with yella terra rockers breaking but I hadn't seen others. What CAI did you use?