I want your opinion - Full Front End Rebuild C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was reading somewhere that guys r putting a jeep intermediate shaft in our trucks. Can't remember details but it's in the back of my head for when mine starts getting shoddy. I like modding stuff and making it "better" lol

Yes they are, buy a shaft out of a XJ and it’s a direct swap. Now it won’t work on 96 or 97 to 99. Because the XJ shaft has 2 u joints already on it at the top and bottom. Now with my truck being a 98 it will not work because we have a u joint under the steering column from my understanding. So 3 u joints will cause a bind if not supported properly.

So for us with a 98 buy a u joint from flaming river generally and will cut off the old rag joint and weld the new one on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was reading somewhere that guys r putting a jeep intermediate shaft in our trucks. Can't remember details but it's in the back of my head for when mine starts getting shoddy. I like modding stuff and making it "better" lol
I've got one sitting in the garage. I'll be installing soon

coomer

Reaction score
For my 1996 C1500 ECSB build, I am using XRF Chassis for the front end parts. They use Moog part numbers and all of their pieces carry a lifetime warranty. Including the ball joints which are famous for being bulletproof. Prices are comparable to Moog, a little more, but from the few people I've heard who have used their parts, everything is positive. Moog parts, especially their ball joints, have gotten worse over the years with people experiencing early failures. ACDelco is a fine choice as well. I am using ACDelco coil springs and spring isolators.

My steering shaft was made custom by Derek's Steering Shafts, he owns a shop on FB. It's a 1" DD shaft with a direct welded 30-spline joint, cut to directly fit into the steering box. Same idea of the XJ shaft but it works for '95+ vehicles.

Enjoy the build and make it yours. Sounds like you have a good plan!

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For my 1996 C1500 ECSB build, I am using XRF Chassis for the front end parts. They use Moog part numbers and all of their pieces carry a lifetime warranty. Including the ball joints which are famous for being bulletproof. Prices are comparable to Moog, a little more, but from the few people I've heard who have used their parts, everything is positive. Moog parts, especially their ball joints, have gotten worse over the years with people experiencing early failures. ACDelco is a fine choice as well. I am using ACDelco coil springs and spring isolators.

My steering shaft was made custom by Derek's Steering Shafts, he owns a shop on FB. It's a 1" DD shaft with a direct welded 30-spline joint, cut to directly fit into the steering box. Same idea of the XJ shaft but it works for '95+ vehicles.

Enjoy the build and make it yours. Sounds like you have a good plan!

Hmm i never heard on them i may check them out and see. But where are you getting new coil springs at? I cant find stock ride height ones anywhere.

I have heard of Derek's shafts but i saw on a facebook post in a group that supposedly he is no longer making them, so i dont know how true that is. But i know i will probably just end up making my own at some point. Its just hard doing fab work stuff and lining up time on the welder for me at my dads shop. Ill just order the parts at some point and do it. But for now ill see how a $20 rag replacement does lol

matad311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I pulled the trigger and put an end to my mind going crazy on what I should do! Now I just need to figure out if I can get all this powder coated. Looks like I gotta start finding a used kitchen oven on craigslist or marketplace. My current coating oven is a little too small for a control arm since its only a toaster oven lol

You must be registered for see images attach

coomer

Reaction score
Hmm i never heard on them i may check them out and see. But where are you getting new coil springs at? I cant find stock ride height ones anywhere.

I have heard of Derek's shafts but i saw on a facebook post in a group that supposedly he is no longer making them, so i dont know how true that is. But i know i will probably just end up making my own at some point. Its just hard doing fab work stuff and lining up time on the welder for me at my dads shop. Ill just order the parts at some point and do it. But for now ill see how a $20 rag replacement does lol

Weird, I got my steering shaft early last month. And my stock springs were ACDelcos. P/N 88913389

And a new rag joint will still be a great upgrade regardless.