I Gotta Know!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I can, at a moment's notice, go with my girl on a trip out of state. The closer to stock that I keep a vehicle, Tahoe or truck, the more I can count on it to get me from point A to B and back. It is something I have believed in for over 60 years. I have had my fun when younger and all I cared about was looking good doing something no one else might do or build. But I always came back to the stock LOOK. It's what is under the hood and frame that I mess with but with a stock stance. Sleeper.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I can, at a moment's notice, go with my girl on a trip out of state. The closer to stock that I keep a vehicle, Tahoe or truck, the more I can count on it to get me from point A to B and back. It is something I have believed in for over 60 years. I have had my fun when younger and all I cared about was looking good doing something no one else might do or build. But I always came back to the stock LOOK. It's what is under the hood and frame that I mess with but with a stock stance. Sleeper.

I just don't see how a properly installed lift or drop would adversely affect a truck's ability to drive halfway across the country. Anything that's halfassedly installed, even stock replacement parts, will have your ass walking home.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are lifting your truck to clear tires and are going off road/show the truck at events, I understand. If you are lowering the truck to show at events, I understand.

But otherwise, why do you lift or lower a perfectly good truck and stress the components that get out of factory spec? It is your truck, do whatever the hell you want, it is your money. I really like the stock/strong/cream puff look that shows the care put in to the truck. Open the hood and is not filthy. Starts like it should. Idles like it should. Accelerates like it should. Handles like it should. Heats like it should. Cools like it should. Brakes like it should. Does what a truck should. Hell, just that alone is enough cost on an older truck.

Tell me where I am off base. No need to get obstinate, just tell me WHY..... Personal preference, I can understand, I can. But other wise, clue me in.

I gotta be up front here though. I have had a 1973 Blazer, one ton axles-front and rear-14 bolt full float and Dana 60 with 4.88 gears and Detroit lockers in both. Full roll cage. 400 CSB, all aluminum radiator with switch activated fans. Carbed with special float set up for severe angles. Gusseted frame and bracing. Line locks on both ends brakes. Hydraulic ram steering. 6" of lift with 38" Bogger tires. You name it, I likely had it on that truck. I had a Warn fiber rope 12k lb. winch that was set up to pull at front or rear and had a bag of snatch blocks and shackles and straps. I even had an onboard air compressor. I have been all over Tilamook Forest with it, here in Oregon and went to Rubicon for trails and rock crawling. I was told by a local, that my full size rig was the 3rd ever to make it to the top of Potato Salad Hill. But again, that was purpose built and not legal on the street.
There is no right or wrong about it all.
There may some ******* cringe for sure.
But whatever makes you cringe might be some other persons dream.
Back in the 1960s there was a trend that started in California where people would velvet coat cars. Especially Buick Rivearas.
They glued velvet to the entire car.
In the 50s and the 60s they destroyed 32 fords left and right.
And 49 to 50 Mercs.
They cut Chevy Nomad wagons in half and welded them back together to make "stubbies"
In the 80s and 90s vintage cars got circumcised and nuetered with bondo and bubblegum.
So many people who never have the ambition to customize a car get really pissy when sombody else does it.
It aint your car..
We had a customer get all nutted up panty twisted because we were pulling the stock 307 out of a Camaro Berlinetta and throwing it in the scrap.
he sounded like a seagull looking for a french fry.
Squakk'...Squakkk...Numbers matching ...squakkk..
Yes, numbers matching 307 berlinetta.
With rot holes I could have chucked a racoon through.
And it wasnt his car.
Mind yer own damn business chucklehead.
I would never wagon wheel a 68 cutlass.
That isnt my thing.
But I do understand the ******* money and work that it takes to do that.
Every modified car has somebody behind it who tried and spent some money and busted some knuckles doing it.
There are car people and there are posers.
Some people have turned the wrench and some people pay someone else to turn the wrench.
None of which excuses you for making your wife sit in a lawn chair while you go butt snuggle all of the other car guys.
Its a ******* car
Yes, you may get some interest from your car.
But you need to have a lot more depth than that.
A car doesnt make you a man.
And a girl who is into you because of your car is as dense and shallow as you are.
Remember kids, if you **** that up you can end up with a kid and spend the 18 to 21 years working in construction while some other ****** is spending your child support money.
Dont buy a car thinking you will get laid.
Buy a car as a present to yourself and as a reward to make you happy after going through the **** to get yourself there.

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exactly!! i don’t want add a variable to a diagnosis 1,000 miles from home.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just my experience from dyno testing, S&S normally put out 1hp per cube stock, not a bad number, some exquisite dyno tuning, thunderjet etc. might find another 10hp, the next hp's are increasingly difficult to find. Dave Mackie Enterprises did all my head work, cam recommends etc. Only head porter at the time in the Rivera Engineering Catalog, and there's only one way to get in it. Be one of the best. I built my engine, and copied it 100 more times at a bike shop, Used a DME spec'd cam for light bikes, Or similar Crane H-290-2 for heavies. Main difference was IVC closing events, Crane was earlier IVC for a little more tq. DCR down low. 80 inch. DME heads/cam, 10.5-11.0 Wiseco pistons, crane single fire ignition, Dialed stock CV carb. and you had an 105+hp engine you could beat with no mercy. Stupid simple combo((96 was the biggest S&S had at the time) If it was more I built a Delkron case/Axtell cylinder big bore 3 13/16, it put us in mid 120's hp @ 95-97 inches on a street build. Then came Sputhe with a 105ci( no experience). Then finally came S&S with their safe builds like GM crate offerings. A 572 produce's what?, lol 124 does what?lol All 4 cycle ohv engines respond similarly to the same mods. Cut head .030, nice 3 angle, bowl blend if not going all out, more to cams then duration and lift numbers, etc. Sometimes you have to just get on the phone. like dealing with AFR, getting on the phone got me 19 degree heads and an unbelievable education for a few bucks more than standard 23's at the time. And I'm all about some trickery, it's not exactly what I'm saying it is. Instead of bragging or boasting I play it the other way. 71-72 thickwall 360 block bored to 340 diameter with a 4 inch stoke, 400 b Chrysler with 4.15 stroke sounds like a grocery getter with a little cam @499 inches etc. Might be telling you it's a 305 with a little cam but it's a 500 ft lb stomper 434 small block.

Last edited:

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No doubt a quality lift/lowered is achievable. But there’s been a few notable doosies lately that made my head spin.
They have been around for a while. When I got my 1988 K1500 it had the Rancho RS6427 3" lift already installed. It must have been from near new as this kit had been discontinued from not long after it came out it was that bad. Normally, the front suspension geometry has anti-squat designed into it for heavy braking control, but with this kit it had it completely reversed so that it enhanced the front squatting under brakes. It wasn't until the urethane bushes ate themselves up and I found I couldn't get replacements that I took the offending parts out and fitted Rough Country UCAs to allow for the extra height. Here's a picture showing the UCA to chassis mounts being lowered about 2" by the dropdown bracket in the front but not the rear thereby totally reversing the geometry.
You must be registered for see images attach

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They have been around for a while. When I got my 1988 K1500 it had the Rancho RS6427 3" lift already installed. It must have been from near new as this kit had been discontinued from not long after it came out it was that bad. Normally, the front suspension geometry has anti-squat designed into it for heavy braking control, but with this kit it had it completely reversed so that it enhanced the front squatting under brakes. It wasn't until the urethane bushes ate themselves up and I found I couldn't get replacements that I took the offending parts out and fitted Rough Country UCAs to allow for the extra height. Here's a picture showing the UCA to chassis mounts being lowered about 2" by the dropdown bracket in the front but not the rear thereby totally reversing the geometry.
You must be registered for see images attach
I was more referring to the “mechanics”, not the parts. But, yeah, that’s part of the blame pie.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Bastid's, think they invited me just to be the cook. LOL still fun...
I use to cook in a nudie bar. Affiliate-owned.
In a tourist town between two lakes.
'Slack Alice's'. aka, Daddy Daycare.
Griddle, stove, deep fryers, ovens, salamander, etc. Along with a Deli. An real-life full-sized fully-stocked delicatessen!
Glass display cases full of meat. Cheeses.
In-house-made breads.
Right IN the bar. Walk in, turn right & two steps up, off over in one corner.
With a full view of the whole place. The stage. The bar. ALL the doors. (Important!)
Decent pay. Good tips. Along with some pretty good 'perks'!
Don't think I've ever had a job where I laughed so hard so much. Way, w-a-y, too much fun.