I dont know what i did

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
plug replacement not required if it's flooded. You can just let it sit for a couple hours.

Or pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it over a couple times.

Or pull all the plugs out and let it sit for 10-15 mins.

The plugs are wet with fuel because it hasn't been firing. Likely traceable back to a dist cap that has moisture built up inside and causing the spark to go all "catty whompass" instead of a carefully timed spark to a specific cylinder.

Now, if the plugs are carbon or oil fouled, that's a different story...

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
plug replacement not required if it's flooded. You can just let it sit for a couple hours.

Or pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it over a couple times.

Or pull all the plugs out and let it sit for 10-15 mins.

The plugs are wet with fuel because it hasn't been firing. Likely traceable back to a dist cap that has moisture built up inside and causing the spark to go all "catty whompass" instead of a carefully timed spark to a specific cylinder.

Now, if the plugs are carbon or oil fouled, that's a different story...

Yep. First thing I'd do is pop the distributor cap and let it air out and dry. That's all it will likely take and will most likely fire up okay.

TomCoppola

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update: motor has spark and fuel, still not starting. Maybe the starter?

Sent from my Vortec powered iPhone

TomCoppola

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Replaced the starter, didnt do squat... No clue what it could be, blew out distributor as well, no results. Someone please help

TomCoppola

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its been making nasty knocking sounds, im thinking somethings blown, any idea what?

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
If it was turning over enough to know you had fuel and spark, why would you suspect the starter?

TomCoppola

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would crank and than die down and than crank again almost the starter wasn't getting enough power. Right now it feels like the starter is forcing the engine to crank

Montana_k3500

Reaction score
couple things to check. 1 make sure you replaced all the spark plugs. 2 make sure the right wires are on the right plugs (verify firing order) if those two things check out, check for water in your oil or pressure in your radiator after cranking. if you hosed down a hot engine, you COULD have warped your head/blew a head gasket. This is all based off the backfire sound, though, just a guess.

TomCoppola

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
All plugs are replaced and all wires are in the correct place, and theres no sign of water in the oil. I don't think i exposed the engine to enough water for it to be that bad of a problem